Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fish Chatfield,and Cherry Creek mostly looking for walleye. I usually make a few catches each year on a bottom bouncer with a spoon and bead leader w/ nightcrwler or leach as attractant. I have heard recently that I should only use that as a last resort.

Can anyone offer me any tips that might help my success rate rise a little more then in previous years? Fishing from shore, or trolling from the boat, I want to know everything I can on the subject!!! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The Fiend

·
Registered
198 Posts
Fishing_Fiend said:
I fish Chatfield,and Cherry Creek mostly looking for walleye.  I usually make a few catches each year on a bottom bouncer with a spoon and bead leader w/ nightcrwler or leach as attractant.  I have heard recently that I should only use that as a last resort. 

Can anyone offer me any tips that might help my success rate rise a little more then in previous years?  Fishing from shore, or trolling from the boat, I want to know everything I can on the subject!!!  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The Fiend
bottom bouncers don't come into play until the water is cosistently in the 60's and up. you'll catch the occasionall suicide walleye, but not much of a usefull tactic this time of year. i'm mostly riggin' leeches(as soon as i get them here), on offshore structure. or crawlers on a split-rig in the shallows. i also do some jigging too. i don't fish at night (troll cranks), too inconsistent and cold for me! besides, i fish hard enough during the day(usually10 hrs !), so that's last thing i want to do. i do troll in the summer or when looking for fish that are high/suspended in the water column. this time of year it's slow moving precise presentation that works best.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Fiend,

Answering you questipn(s) would take alot of typing.  Here are a few free things you can attend and get some good tips....both are at Sportsmans Whse.

Description: Colorado Walleye Association Members will show techniques on bottom bouncing reservoirs as well as how to build your own. Crankbait use and necessary boating equipment will also be discussed.
Dates: May 6th, Saturday  
Time: 11:00pm - 3:00pm  
Tel./Email: 303-428-6500 ext 7
[email protected]  
Store Link:  Thornton Store

I will be giving the boat rigging piece of this clinic and will drive there from fishing Cherry Creek that morning so I might even have some real recent information to share.

-OR-

Description: Learn about walleye fishing tactics on local lakes and how to rig up a walleye boat. Speaker: Dave Kooser(president Colorado Walleye Association).
Date: May 20th, Saturday
Time: 12:00pm until finished  
Tel./Email: 719-597-9200
[email protected]  
Store Link:  Colorado Springs Store

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate it. I am busy this weekend, but the 20 th might be a must. I thank you both for your info on the subject.

Fiend

·
Registered
674 Posts
So far this year it seems that the walleyes that I have caught have prefered artificial over live bait. The fish are also shallow right now.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I agree with Shallow. Iv'e been catching them on jerkbaits in 6 inches to 4 feet of water with most in the 1-2 foot range.

Last week they were up in the rocks during the middle of the day. I went out this morning again fom 6-9am It shut down completly at 8:00 ( when the sun it the water)

they were a little further out this morning with most hits coming at about 3-4 ft of water.

I've also been having luck with 5inch zoom ring worms and a 1/16th oz weight.

Water temp 18" down was 54-54.5 degrees.

Hope this helps
Brett

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right on, that does help. 

What about movement throughout the day.  I know they hit the shallows and rip rap at night for baitfish but as daylight arrives, would they stay shallow if it was windy / choppy and cloudy, or would they run for the deep like they would on a normal calm sunny day?

I guess my biggest intention is to learn how these fish live.  I want to know their seasonal habbits, as well as know how they think.  I have tried researching it, but the material is usually so dry.  Im a fisherman, I need it wet!  But I do know there are a lot of very smart people on here, and I understand more of what you say.

I thank you all for your input, I am absorbing it like a sponge.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I may not be a good source as I am trying to figure them out as well.

Like you, I thought that with the sun raising, they would retreat to deeper water. I dunno if it's the time of year, water tem or whatever but they for the most part are staying shallow. Now the lake/pond I am fishing has very little in the way of structure but they have been in the rocks pretty much at all times of the day. Widny/calm blue sky/clody,, it did not seem to matter. I caught 13 Sunday and the sun was up nice and bright they were all shallow like I mentioned earlier. Today, they stopped biting after the sun came up and I could not find them deeper. I suspect that I may have spooked them a little from hitting the same general area so close together. But I'm not sure. o, the saga continues,, one thing I will say,, is take notes so you can try and replicate things from year to year and even lake to lake if the conditions are similar.
Brett

L

·
0 Posts
Figuring out Walleye's are like figuring out the meaning of life. As soon as you think you have it, something changes.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you got that right.  I will continue the journey my entire life I am sure.  But when you try something specific, read them just right, then BAM, it all comes together, and you got a pig in your net and. . . . . . .ahhhhh there is nothing better then that satisfaction.  I'll have to hit it harder and with more precision (thx Raven)

But you know what they say,  If at first you don't succed, then skydiving is not for you.  With everything else, hit it harder.   ;D

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
FishingFiend-I assume you have the InFisherman walleye book-if not its a good start.

·
0 Posts
I don't know if this is a tip or not. Last year while trolling a crawler harness I caught 5 or 6 eyes about a foot long. Kind of small right. My wife is using a rainbow colored Mepps spinner fishing for trout and nails a 19 inch walleye. Go figure.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Michael in Parker said:
What about as the water temp. warms up? Do the Walleye move to deeper water?
nope. i caught a 10#12oz in july in the afternoon on cherry creek, pitchin' 1/16oz jigs right where the water meets the dam. it was a FAT one for 29"!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
was it cloudy? Its hard to imagine a walleye coming up that shallow in the dead middle of summer. What might cause a large walleye like that to be so shallow. Sunning? Baitfish?

·
Registered
514 Posts
i had a similar question a couple of weeks ago and i got some great advise to join the colorado walley association. so i did and we met on the lake last tuesday and i caught some nice fish and learned a lot. its a good club with great people. i am glad i joined. i tried on my own pretty hard last year and i caught more walleye in one night with those guys then i caught all last year. good luck fishing.

P.S. just got done eating a nice walleye supper.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sure, rub it in. hahaha

right on man. Fish on!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts