Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The walleye I've been catching are loaded with crayfish and I've have been using bait "worms" that look nothing like crayfish.

Any ideas how to fish for walleye with a crayfish or an crayfish imitator of some kind?

I figure that might increase my catching percentage if i fish with what they're really eating.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or secrets you may reveal.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I've read in other posts that you can either just use the tail or just the meat from the tail. I don't recall that it was for walleye so to say, but I'd think it would work the same.

·
Banned
487 Posts
The lake I fish, Juniata Reservoir near Grand Junction, is filled with crawfish. That is the primary food source for the walleyes in there. For this reason, crawdad imitation crankbaits and also brown and purple curly tails work really well. Plastic crawdads might work really well too hopped along the bottom.

T

·
0 Posts
if walleye are foraging on crawfish, then by all means, fish with imitators.  i do this all the time in canadian lakes i fish.  my favorite rigs are:

1. 3-5" kalins crawdad/pumpkinseed curl tail grub on a brown or orange leadhead jig, bounced on the bottom while drifting rocks/flats.

2. berkeley 3" power tubes camo colored fish same as above.

3. rebel deep wee-r crawdad colored crankbait slow trolled in rocky areas, even add an egg sinker above the swivel and tie the crank on a 6' leader.  poor man's down rigger for flat line trolling/probing.

4. i make up some worm harnessess, with copper blades, and add some orange and brown beads, using a night crawler.  i drag these through the rocks.  the harness is only 4-6" long.

5.  if you can catch some or buy some crawfish, live bait rig them.  if they are not soft shell, be use to crush the claws, but leave them on.  saves fromthe crawfish clinging to the bottom.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I fished a lake in NW Iowa that the walleye guys used primarly live crawdads for walleyes. I thought it was weird but they killed em.

·
Registered
680 Posts
ive tried a plastic crawdad off dam a couple times, nothin! perhaps wrong color.(orangish and grey on top) I was more fishing for bass then walleye;
rigged on a wieghted hook backwards darted along bottom.
But my buddy said the spinnerbait he was using killed em' (smalls)
He said it was a crawdad imitation, burgundy and black i think he said

1 - 7 of 7 Posts