Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went walleye fishing last night at chatfield. We got there at like nine and it was my first time ever going for walleye. Never caught one before. We fished a couple hours with different rapalas(mostly xrap) and had fairly consistent action the whole time. I landed four and missed/lost about twice that. One of the fish I lost felt BIG. The fish I did land were around 2-3lbs and had no chance of pulling out my maxed out drag with my 12lb test. This one doubled over my rod and peeled out for the five or so seconds I had him on. I also caught a fish that had the body and coloration of a largemouth bass but it also had that permit-looking mouth and was a tad bit silvery. I thought it was a giant shad at first but I'm not sure. It was probably three pounds. That's a crappy description because I don't know exactly how to describe it and it was dark but it was wierd looking. He actually didn't bite my lure, he got foul hooked.i should've taken a pic. Anyone know what it was? Anyways, going back tonight as I had a blast. Has anyone ever fly fished walleye there? It seemed there would be enough room to cast. I think i just need to put a sinking line on my 9wt and get some big streamers. That'd be sweet to hook a monster walleye on the fly.

Ps I don't know why the pic is upside down but whatever

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Sounds like a Shad to me. They do get big. I've heard that you can use for catfish bait. Congrats on the eyes!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a Shad to me. They do get big. I've heard that you can use for catfish bait. Congrats on the eyes!
Ya after doing some research I think it was a shad. It just looked way darker though and the shape and color made it look like a lmb until I saw the head.

·
Registered
458 Posts
What is the deal with night fishing for walleye? We fish for them all day in Wyoming and cannot stop doubling/tripling all day long. What is the deal with night fishing for them? Is it supposed to be better?

·
Registered
146 Posts
What is the deal with night fishing for walleye? We fish for them all day in Wyoming and cannot stop doubling/tripling all day long. What is the deal with night fishing for them? Is it supposed to be better?
Better shot at bigger fish.

And less boat traffic to deal with which can be crazy at Chatty and Cherry.

Congrats on the walleye addiction Whompus.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts