Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I headed out for a catfish trip on rocks, and will be fishing bottom of course. But does anyone has a suggestion for a good bottom rig for walleye that would suspend the bait. I have been looking at floating jig heads but found most only make the bait struggel on the bottom, but I have one that will float even of the biggest or baits. Has anyone tried a floating jig head with a barrel sinker?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I think it depends on how you plan on fishing and what you plan to use. If you just want to use an egg sinker and have your leader line float then a floating jig head would probably work with some type of bait. If you are using crawlers, you could just blow them up with air.

Other options could be threading on a float( similar to what you see on a crawler harness) to your line.

Depending how deep you are fishing, you could just use a slip bobber and have the bobber stop at your desired depth level.

If you are fishing from a boat, a drop shot rig will work as well.

M

·
0 Posts
smaller True Turn type hook with an inflated crawler will get it off the bottom. If you have a friend that takes prescription meds intravenously, bum a syringe, or get a crawler inflater (worm blower).

I find they work pretty well. Set your weight for the desired length you want off the bottom.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I have caught quite few walleye from shore over the years on a Phelps floater. It is a soft floating jighead with a two hook harness. Just string the crawler on and let the floater lift it up off the bottom. The floating jighead adds color to the presentation also!! You can still give the crawler a shot of air if you like also. I just deadstick it and cast with another rod while keeping my eye on the deadstick rod.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I would use a Lindy rig w/ inflated worm. I have never used a phelps floater, but have had multiple successes on just a standard Lindy rig w/ an inflated worm. Drop an egg sinker just above a swivel on your line. Then attatch a 1', 2', 3' leader to the swivel with your hook on it. If you get a tap on your pole, then open the bail, or release the line so the fish can take off with it. The fish feels no resistance because your line is sliding through the sinker. You get a lot more gut hooks this way, but its sure fire when the fish are being a little skiddish.

If you dont lie this, then a slip bobber would be my next suggestion.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These phelps floaters can the suspend a good size nightcrawler without a worm blower. I have only found one style jig head that could do it but don't remember the name. But its a very large jig head. Since I will be on shore it will be dead sticked. The other jigs heads I have tryied are to small to hold a suspended worm or leech.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts