Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like most pics of guys that night fish for walleye show the fisherman sporting a headlamp. My question is this: Do you guys leave the headlamp off while fishing or do you use the red lens to provide a little bit of illumination?

Thank you.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I keep it completely off most of the time on shore, turning the other direction to check my lure with the light on. From the boat with planers I keep it on to check the flags, but it shouldn't matter then because the planer is so far out & I have a lot of line after that. I see a lot of shore fisherman leave their red light on all the time. I'm not so sure that doesn't spook the fish too.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I certainly attempt to limit the amount of light I cast onto the water with my headlamp. In my experience the bigger the walleye the less it appreciates being "lit up" and a careless sweep of the beam can even completely run them off from the area. I use mine but try to err on the side of safety with this subject.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I fish with my light on all the time. If I start seeing fish follow to the boat I will shut it off along with putting a sock on my back light. Most of the time I fish its half one way half the other. Now if there is another boat close to me my light is always on.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Considering they have such good nightvision - it makes sense that a bright light in there eye could irritate them into leaving the area.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
My last five 10lb plus fish have come in 3' or less of water, right in front of me. I try not to use my light at all!!!!!!!!!!

I use 14lb test mono as my leader on my braid so I can pull lose of most snags, thus no need to re tye my rig. It is amazing how well you can see at night once your eye's adjust!

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you very much. Most of the time if I fish at night I'm just waiting for catfish to bite. The few times I've tried to actively fish at night never turned out well. Most of those times were back in the day, buzzed, at the Miracle Mile. At least I never fell in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts