Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I go and buy a rifle I figured it'd be worth asking if anyone has one they'd be willing to sell.

Shoot me a PM and let me know what you have!

Thank you.

·
Registered
625 Posts
armslist.com is a place to check too.
depending on your personal thoughts (local vs online), budsgunshop.com has some really great prices, even after you pay for the FFL transfer. some don't like buds, I've personally never had a bad experience with them.

If you buy from Gander Mtn they will often let you into their secret stash of ammo for firearm purchasers. When I bought my latest pistol I just happened to comment "I wish you had some .22lr in stock" and the dude said "oh, well, for gun buyers we do!" and he sold me 4 boxes of 500 count federal .22lr

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went on Gun Broker but they "flagged" my account and am awaiting moderator approval.

However, for the low end .22 rifles, paying shipping doesn't make sense. You might as well buy new.

I'll have to check out armslist.com and Buds.

Thanks New Guy.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've had a very mixed experience on gunbroker.

on a lower dollar, higher use item like a .22 I'd rather buy from someone I know or buy new. they strike me the same as buying a used bmw 3 series - they are often used hard, put away with little care and you just don't know what you're buying. from someone on here where you could see it and actually or sort of know them it'd be different.

lesser used/more cared for (expensive/collectible) firearms I have less of an issue buying used online. 9mm, .22 and .223 I shy away from. .223 especially since people are fond of tinkering with them and you've no clue what they have or havent screwed up.

in the event you want to try before you buy I have bolt action marlin, 10/22 and S&W ar style rifles that I'm always happy to go out and shoot and let you shoot too. none for sale.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After my first visit I am much more of a fan of Armslist than gun broker.

My only gripe about Armslist is the lack of filters. You can't sort by price or date.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Bolts are usually more accurate and with only one shot you become a better shooter... semi autos are more fun but you burn lots more ammo.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ghostman, that was my understanding as well but I don't understand why bolt actions are more accurate. Maybe somebody can inform me.

As far as ammo goes, I'm a pretty cheap guy but burning through ammo when it's 10 cents a round isn't so bad compared to 50 cents to a dollar a round!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Ghostman, that was my understanding as well but I don't understand why bolt actions are more accurate. Maybe somebody can inform me.

As far as ammo goes, I'm a pretty cheap guy but burning through ammo when it's 10 cents a round isn't so bad compared to 50 cents to a dollar a round!
There are different reasons for this but the best is that a bolt is a sealed breech where all of the energy is applied down the barrel... an auto/semi auto uses some of the energy to operate the bolt to auto eject the spent cartridge.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
The other thing to consider is a bolt gun makes for a better shooter... a nice feature when teaching youngsters.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Lets say you're starving... you got one chance at a bunny that is 10 yards from heavy cover... with a bolt gun you will get off one shot before said bunny hits the cover... with a semi-auto you can get off 3 shots... I'll bet the guy that knows he only has one will concentrate a little harder and squeeze the trigger more slowly than the guy that knows he can just 'spray and pray'.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The other thing to consider is a bolt gun makes for a better shooter... a nice feature when teaching youngsters.
I think you're splitting hairs when it comes to what's more accurate for hunting especially talking about .22 - a platform that's super duper easy to hold steady. bigger gun, different story.

I 100% agree with the above. a bolt and ONE bullet at a time is essential for young ones. it really eliminates the opportunity for an accidental second shot. Also, an old trick is to take the rifle from the child, load each single round, give it back and let them fire (after first teaching them that generally one doesn't pass a loaded weapon). you can then pretend to load it and when they dry fire and flinch it's a lesson in not anticipating that bang.

For hunting I think the real accuracy killers of a semi auto are the ability to shoot faster or to take that second shot before you're done recoiling from the first. most semi auto .22 and .22 mag will serve you better with the original 5-10 round magazine than a 25+. it's just a matter of making each shot count. however, once you get it down, a quick second shot at a bunny can mean the difference between success or not.

If you get a semi auto, have someone teach you a follow the hole drill. it's a mental shift from a "double tap" being two quick bangs to the second bang being as quick as reasonable for a good shot. it's also hella fun.

another possible contributor to accuracy with bolt vs semi auto is barrel length. bolts by default (this is a gross generalization) tend to have a longer barrel and that's easier to be accurate with. many rifles will have a "target" or "hunter" model with a longer/heavier barrel - in lots of cases they help. the Target version of my Ruger Mark II pistol (now Mark III) is insanely easy to be accurate with because of the long heavy barrel.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Lets say you're starving... you got one chance at a bunny that is 10 yards from heavy cover... with a bolt gun you will get off one shot before said bunny hits the cover... with a semi-auto you can get off 3 shots... I'll bet the guy that knows he only has one will concentrate a little harder and squeeze the trigger more slowly than the guy that knows he can just 'spray and pray'.

This is a great thought too. I agree. when you only get one shot you get better at every shot. you also get better at not wasting meat by shooting at a part of the animal instead of the animal in general.

All of this said, however. I'd buy a ruger 10/22 without hesitation if it was me. I would not "tac" it out and make it into some dumb doomsday prepper frankengun.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
If you are looking to practice and try to be a better shooter, then buy a bolt. If you are looking to teach a youngster to hunt and handle weapons safely, buy a bolt.

If you want a gun that is fun to shoot, and will put meat on the table, buy either a lever action or a semi auto. IMO, both are considerably more fun to shoot, and will give you a quicker follow up shot should you need it.

That said, if I was really wanting to buy a gun to hunt rabbits and squirrels with, I would go with a 17. Shoots faster and flatter, more accurate, more range, and more knock downpour. The only downside is that ammo is more expensive.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm a decent marksman. Shot .22 bolt actions and shotguns in boy scouts. Even got to shoot a black powder gun on one campout. That was cool.

Used to shoot clay pigeons a few times a year but haven't shot for the last 8 years.

Shot handguns at the range a time or two.

The kids and I shoot the bb gun occasionally and they are decent.

I want to learn to clean and maintain my own guns and how to skin and dress small game.

·
Registered
625 Posts
the manufacturers have excellent sponsored cleaning/maintenance vids. I think browning has some really good ones if I recall right. generally you want a model specific one as a lot of them have their quirks. the basics are all the same.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My future bro-in-law has two or three .17s at his house. Maybe I can convince him to let me "borrow" one for marrying his sister! :rofl:

1 - 20 of 86 Posts