Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
never used this before what's the best colors for trolling. going to use them at john martin & pueblo reservoir mainly. i know some of yous use these throwing them in rivers & lakes what would yous recommend. getting ready to fish this year for the first time 2011. got the boat ready to can't wait to get on the water again. also i know theres some called little ripper are those any good and were can i get some good deals on them. thanks for the info

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I am going to get spanked for saying this, but color is of little consequence when compared with the size and mechanical characteristics of a bait. Get a few good colors (like chrome patterns, chartreuse patterns, etc) in several sizes and configurations (floating, suspending, spoonbill, etc) and make sure to get at least two each.

Keep DETAILED records of what you purchase, so if you hit paydirt you can go back to the store and provide the clerk with an easy request to fill. It is hard to replace a bait if you have no idea what to call it! DO NOT randomly buy a pile of baits and play pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey.

There is no such thing as a magic bullet. You can take that to the bank.

Cheers!

SS

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Although I have an 18 ft aluminum boat, I prefer to fish from the bank on most lakes. I have trolled Pueblo before, but not with Rogues. I usually run a couple of 10 foot rods on each side of the boat. I use a shallower lure on the rod that is closest to the shore. And progressively deeper lures as the rods get farther away from the shore. There is no magic lure, but it's hard to beat the performance to price ratio of the Rogues.

For colors, I use more natural colors on a bright moon. I switch to brighter colors when the moon is dark and/or the water is choppy. The blue/chrome/orange model is a good all around performer in my experience because it has both natural and bright colors. It also provides good contrast in its color mix, which can make a difference because fish eyes are more designed to perceive contrast and movement than details. This last point leads me to my last comment: movement is probably just as important (if not more important) than color. At this time of the year, speed is probably the most important factor, so slow it down if you are not catching fish (or speed it up if you are already going very slow). For trolling, I usually try to stay below 2 miles per hour, and 1.5 miles per hour is better at this time of the year.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
swimbait said:
I am going to get spanked for saying this, but color is of little consequence when compared with the size and mechanical characteristics of a bait. Get a few good colors (like chrome patterns, chartreuse patterns, etc) in several sizes and configurations (floating, suspending, spoonbill, etc) and make sure to get at least two each.

Keep DETAILED records of what you purchase, so if you hit paydirt you can go back to the store and provide the clerk with an easy request to fill. It is hard to replace a bait if you have no idea what to call it! DO NOT randomly buy a pile of baits and play pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey.

There is no such thing as a magic bullet. You can take that to the bank.

Cheers!

SS

What? Do not randomly buy a pile of baits?

Thats half the fun!

Arent you like building a pile of baits? Whats the difference?

Pin the tail on BiggieSmalls is fun.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
lj catman said:
very careful how i spend my money.
especially in these times
I hear you. I have a lot of lures that I will probably never use... If you are serious about trolling Rogues at Pueblo and John Martin, I think the suspending Super Rogue in blue/chrome/orange would be a good choice. Both lakes have fairly deep banks at the dam (where I would be trolling for walleyes), so you can do without floating lures. Another Rogue I like is the Menendez series in purple painter (purple and chartreuse). With all this said, it's good to have more than one type of lure out there.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
In 1996 I made about $20,000,00.

In 1996 I bought a $10,000. stereo system.

In 1996 I ate: Totino's Party Pizzas, Little Juans, and Top Ramen noodles.

It is all about priorities.... >:D

SS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts