Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a 10-20 gallon beginner setup for the kids.

Tank, stand, heater, filter, bubbler (not the Slayer kind :biggrin1:)

If anyone has one they'd like to sell, let me know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have one just sitting in the garage, but its a salt water set up. 25 gallons and has everything you'd ever need to get started.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dakota,
My better half wants a saltwater tank but I've never had fish so I'd be worried about killing them off!

Is a saltwater setup much different?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dakota,
My better half wants a saltwater tank but I've never had fish so I'd be worried about killing them off!

Is a saltwater setup much different?
The difference is like night and day. Although, if you're brave, a saltwater set up isn't too bad. Most of the issue is the cost. Everything is twice as expensive. I have both salt and freshwater aquariums in my house.

·
Registered
259 Posts
There is a reason all that stuff is cheap on Craig's. It's fun for about a week or two and then the filter clogs and you need to clean the tank...if not the filter build up causes a slow drip behind the tank and you don't notice until your cabinets are ruined. I will never ever have a tank in my house again!!!!

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Yep, nothing worse than a slow drip!

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Have had an aquarium on and off for years for most of my life never ever had a tank or a filter leak...never done saltwater though...one of these days...

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been reading about setting up a tank. A lot of fish people seem to suggest 10 gallons is the minimum size tank but you should really go for 20 since there is more room for error when it comes to water issues.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have four tanks up and running and would be happy to help with any guidance or questions. Lots of ways to save money.

More water, more room for error...

·
Registered
936 Posts
I've had tanks all my life ranging in size from 2-100 gallons. The tank for sale was my first attempt at salt water. We ended up moving before the tank finished being established and it didn't make it. We moved into a smaller house and just don't have room for it. Salt water tanks are much more interactive and fun to own, but more work as well. The major difference between salt and freshwater tanks is that once you get a salt water tank balanced and settled, you will rarely (very rarely) have to clean it.

Tanks are a ton of fun for kids and fresh water tanks give you instant satisfaction. Dump in your substrate, place any structure or decoration you want, and dump in fish. Boom, you have a fish tank. With salt water tanks its a long term commitment as the tank takes a long time to settle, up to 6 months or even a year.

If this is your first tank, and it sounds like it is, I would suggest going freshwater. You'll learn a lot and if you ever want to take the next step you'll have a lot of foundational knowledge that will help with saltwater.

The tank is still for sale though! It literally has everything you will ever need for a saltwater tank. All you'll have to add substrate and water. I'll get some pictures tonight.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I just got this tank a couple of weeks ago. It is a aquaponic tank. 3 gallons. The plants absorb and use the fish waste to grow. I have a betta named P.F(Pet Fish/Plant Food) Chang.... and a few shrimp. Fit just perfect on my tying desk. Decorated it with rocks and driftwood from the river down the street. Been fun so far. It gets decent light on top so hopefully i get some greens in a little while.

Here is the website https://backtotheroots.com/products/watergarden

On their site they want $99, but i got mine at petco for $59...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting setup bugz. Thanks for sharing.

Dakota, I'm going to have to stick with freshwater as I am a total newb and have never owned a fish tank.

Ralpert, I may have to pick your brain!

·
Registered
936 Posts
I just got this tank a couple of weeks ago. It is a aquaponic tank. 3 gallons. The plants absorb and use the fish waste to grow. I have a betta named P.F(Pet Fish/Plant Food) Chang.... and a few shrimp. Fit just perfect on my tying desk. Decorated it with rocks and driftwood from the river down the street. Been fun so far. It gets decent light on top so hopefully i get some greens in a little while.

Here is the website https://backtotheroots.com/products/watergarden

On their site they want $99, but i got mine at petco for $59...
Bugs, my wife has been using one of these things for a year. She did the same thing, beta fish and some decorations. Have fun growing some plants!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
dallasdb Where are you at? I have two tanks that I need to get rid of. we moved and just no place for them now. I have one filter set ep as the other one was used for other animals that did not make the trip.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
coloradojaguar,
I'm right down the road from you in Longmont.

I picked up two 10 gallon setups on CL. One for each of the kids rooms.

I'll post a pic today.

Two tanks each with a heater, hood, light, stand, substrate and decorations for $85.

It had two filters but they were garbage. I picked up two Tetra Whisper PF10 filters after doing some research on cost of replacement filters. I found the PF10 has a 12 pack of filters for $9 on ebay.

I picked up clean and dirty water buckets, surge protectors and mechanical timers for the lights.

I cleaned everything (rinsing in the dirty bucket) and wiped down the tank with paper towels.

I added API Quick Start for the beneficial bacteria and API Stress Coat for the dechlorinator.

I'm cycling the tanks for a week, possibly adding a live plant or two this weekend and cycling for another week before adding fish around Christmas.

The kids acted like they were in a candy store at Petco talking about saving their money and purchasing new decorations and fish.

I think we are all really going to enjoy the new hobby!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Definitely stick to freshwater. Fish tanks can be a *****. I say you get your kids some tarantulas or a snake instead ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts