Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for good small lakes or ponds for bass mostly, but also bluegill or crappie for the kids. Teaching them fishing!! Just got a jon boat so if you know where the best place is to take a small boat in the metro area please let me know. Thanks. Also looking for a trailer for my 12 foot boat.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Welcome to Colorado Fisherman! There are a lot of ponds and small lakes to fish in the Metro area. The best resource to find them (other than this site) is a magazine by the DOW called "Fishing Close to Home" as it has EVERY body of water around that is fishable and all the specifics on each one. Most are shore fishing only but a few will be boatable. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
DOW also has a free map with alot of bodies of water and the species of fish in them... But I also recommend the fishing close to home booklet thing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Keep an eye out on the Fishing report forum, It will give you a hint on how activity is. Let us know how you do.

keep an eye on the DOW Fishing report. (Fresh reports start up in April)
http://wildlife.state.co.us/Fishing/Reports/StatewideConditions/
Something I've experienced is the lakes close all get alot of pressure, so its hard to say which lakes are great/guarantee good time for the little ones.
This is a good link that shows lakes by region. Start out near your home then increase your area.
http://wildlife.state.co.us/Fishing/WhereToGo/101Places/
Welcome

·
Registered
52 Posts
you can catch bass and panfish in any of the ponds and small reservoirs in Denver Metro. you can catch decent sized crappie and bluegill at as close as washington park in middle of the city. at this location bass is kinda small. also try chatfield ponds along C470 between wadsworth and santa fe. also try Quincy reservoir in Aurora and Main reservoir or any of the surrounding lakes in Lakewood (jewell/Florida and Kipling). remember these are small lakes so there won't be no or not much boating. try natural baits like worms and leeches suspended by a floater since there won't be too much places to use a jig. do you also like catfish? bet you'll have alot of fun catching palm sized bullheads at sloan's lake during a rainstorm. of course its february and you probably should wait until it warms up a lil....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts