Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished ward pond yesterday after work. I finally, after about 20 trips, beat the skunk. Yea!
I caught 6 had 1 break my line twice (bed fish) and I lost a couple I did not get to see. 4 12-14 inchers 1 181/2 and 1 20 had to be pushin 4 pounds. The one that kept breakin my line was probably 20-21 real fat and real strong!! Caught all fish except 1 on rubber worms, texas rigged. The exception was caught on a senko. Great afternoon!!! ;D

·
Registered
472 Posts
Great job! That lake really tests me. I either do well or skunk out...mostly skunk.

Were you belly boating or from shore?

I might be down there next weekend for a trash pickup. Too many folks drinking, baiting and trashing the place. sumsabeaches!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes, there are some lunkers hanging about Ward. Did you spot fish your catch? Did you get a water temp? Did you see any males starting to make beds? Spawning time should be close. Nothing like throwing some plastics and pissing off a fish or two or three or ten. ;D If the weather stays warm for the next week I will be down next weekend.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey james have you ever fished brainard, i was thinking about heading up there sometime, but have never heard anything about it

·
Registered
862 Posts
i went to ward tonight tried a few things and got skunked as usual i havent fished it before this yr and i have been there 6 times and nothin i was thinking about using some rubber worms how big were the ones u were usin? what size hook? atleast tonight i saw a bunch right out in front of me got em to chase a rapala a few times but they were really interested a whole great deal also seen a bass chasin what i thought lookid like a crappie not sure tho but that was all the excitment for me tonight...any one know of any other ponds or lakes within 30 mins of arvada???

·
Registered
118 Posts
pitbull,
I bet what you saw were the males chasing off the younger juvenile males as they begin to make their beds for spawning. You need to agitate the bass in to biting. They are interested in one thing, reproducing and that is it. I throw lizard and leech imitations right pass the beds. I slowly work the plastic into the beds and leave it for a few seconds. I believe the fish thinks that the plastics are eating the eggs and that will produce a strike most of the time. Until they are in this spawning stage it can be a bit tough to get a good strike. Work your bait as slow as you can, I mean slow.

I use 6-inch Berkley Power Lizards, watermelon color or any thing with a red tint to it. Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp R-Bend hook in a 2/0 or 3/0 size. I use 20lbs fluorocarbon leader and no weight. The beds are all visible from the shore. Most of the beds are on the north side and very, very close so be very quite when you approach. I catch most of my fish less then 20 feet from shore this time of year. Hope that helps. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
862 Posts
right on man thats some info i was lookin for big time i like the pond how its setup and all i just moved to this area so thats the closest pond for me todo some after work fishin (which i do alot) and it seems like it would produce pretty well but ive been there 6 times and nothin i am gonna try that next time im out...know of any other good spots close to here?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Arvada Res. is not to far from Ward it is located on W. 64th and highway 93. $5.00 to get in. Descent bass fishing, no real lunkers but good fun. Landed 2 on Saturday. Very good stocker trout fishing, and ok tiger fishing. Always walk to the north side, that is the only way you have any luck. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
862 Posts
oh does it ever yea i have been thinkin about goin up to arvada i havent been there yet and i figured hey since i been gettin skunked all over and havent got a chance to get up to any mountain lakes i figured i just go fishin for some trout try and get out of this no fish thing im goin thru here....north side u say? i will try it out what kinda lures u reccommed up there or bait?

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Rob --- I fished Brainard and Long Lake while camping last year. Very scenic lakes, and a lot of nice hiking. I take the dogs x-country skiing there alot. As for fishing, The trout I got were real small. The Golden Gate Canyon State park is pretty close, and I here the fishing is alot better there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
pitbull,
You want to take the sidewalk all the way around to the other side, about a 20 minute walk. I use home made in line spinners, very similar to a rooster tail or a small version of a musky killer. I have hundreds of these lures, all ranging in different sizes and weights. For the trout I fish lures in the morning and move to salmon eggs rigged on circle hooks on a trout rig during the afternoon. The mid day bite is very good here. The bass seem to respond to plastics pretty well, as well as luckycraft pointers. Hope that helps.... Good Luck...

·
Registered
862 Posts
im gonna head out there ill be the bald young dude if ya see me stop by and say whats up hopefully on my 8th trip out there i can get me a few.....lol

·
Registered
472 Posts
stop honking at me!!! LOL

Everytime I fish the inlet on Ward Pond, people drive by and honk. Its bad enough that I-70 is a few feet away but do people have to honk and remind me?

One guy actually stopped his vehicle, parked on Ward, walked over and yelled over the fence..."Hey what kind of fish are in there!?" He had that baiter/taker look in his eyes so I replied...

"There's no fish in here. I'm just getting the belly boat wet."

P.S...picked up a full trash bag of beer cans, beer bottles and wads of fishing line last Sunday. What is it going to take to get folks to respect Colorado water?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Mattsabasser said:
P.S...picked up a full trash bag of beer cans, beer bottles and wads of fishing line last Sunday. What is it going to take to get folks to respect Colorado water?
Dude.... It aint gonna happen. They're humans.... (Pls excuse me if I offend anyone with that statement). Our number one flaw is we have the ability to make good choices and we (society in general) don't use that ability.

I guess the best we could do is to set good examples and teach the younger generations before they're corrupted by society's carelessness. I've been trying with my little cousins and the kids who seem to look up to me. It's working so far. I highly respect what you're doing. Picking up cans, wads of line and stuff......

1 - 20 of 24 Posts