Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever fished Ward Road Pond? (I-70 and Ward Road) I ahve never fished it and coudl use any help i could get!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I love Ward Road ponds. The only down side is watchig I-70 traffic zooming by. Other then that the fishing is great. Once the temp rises, the bass will bite. I have seen very few poeple out there fishing. Good place for a belly boats. I suggest using plastics. Tubes, Carolina rigs, jigs with plastic crawls, etc all work very well. Go down the trail from the parking lot, turn left and walk untill the trail begins to curve around the lake to the right. There are a few down trees creating structure. Fish the trees while heading back to where you came from, and you will do well. Once it heats up, then jump in the belly boat. Catch and release only, and no bait. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I fished Ward Pond all day Saturday with the pontooner. If you were on I-70 and saw some poor ******* in the red fishcat rowing in the wind...that was me.

Covered every inch of that lake slow jigging with crawdad presentations, weighted grubs, even the drop-shot fluke...no hits, bites, strikes, didn't even see a single fish.

Saw some other guys throwing out there and they reported the same. Wrong day for this lake apparently...probably better on a lot warmer day. Not worth the lug down those fricken wood stairs with the gear.

·
Registered
862 Posts
i have fished ward road pond the last 2 days i got 1 hit yesterday other then that nothin at all didnt see anything the first day yesterday i seen quite a few a couple big boys jumpin out in the middle and seen a school of em bout 6-10 inches swim past me 5-10 ft out but havent hooked one yet...

·
Banned
487 Posts
Bass do not like biting in the spring during colder windy weather. Each cold spell sends bass back to the depths where the say till about 3 more straight days of warm, calm weather.
During the summer, the time before storm before the squall and rain hits is a great time to hit bass, especially on poppers and other topwaters. Then it's slow during the storm, and slow afterwards for a few days during the bluebird skies that followed.
You were using good presentations, but the fish just were not hungry.

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
I talked to gentleman up in Loveland about the effects of cold front on Walleyes...he was part of a dive rescue team for Horsetooth Reservoir...he said he observed walleyes many times diving at Horsetooth...during long periods of stable high pressure the fish were up off the rocks in active feeding positions...after a cold front went through...they were almost wrapped around the rocks like snakes on the bottom...not moving...not active at all...it must be why God created trout...

·
Registered
472 Posts
here's one pulled from Ward last week...before we got all this bad weather. I don't know how other folks do here but this place stumps me considering there is a few good fish here.

Typically I skunk here 3 to 1 trips.

·
Registered
472 Posts
naw...I didn't tape this one. If I had to guess I'd say it was 16 inches and about 2.5 pounds. The vertical hold held slightly towards the camera gives it more of an impressive look.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Mattsabasser said:
The vertical hold held slightly towards the camera gives it more of an impressive look.
I use that hold too. :D LOL!! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts