Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone fish warm-blooded imitations for trout and if so how did they work?

I know castin mice has been popular with the fly crowd in recent years, but I haven't thrown them much yet... Time to change that!

pc screenshot

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have not casted an imitation like that but I did throw a real mouse into a lake full of large trout and they heartedly ate it. The mouse was in my canoe and I caught it and chunked it over board before it caused a commotion with the small kids whereby we would all have been trout bait!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Pick up a Morrish mouse. They are my favorite and will catch fish. The hook up rate kinda sucks, but when they blow it up it is awesome!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mtntop285: haha, funny story! Now where'd you say that lake filled with large mice-hungry trout was again!? :wink: :wink:

madjas: I've been meaning to tie a few of those Morrish mice; they look interesting. I'm also liking the looks of Whitlock’s mouse rat. Going to make a point to fish a few mice patterns this fall; hoping to see some top-water explosions!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Anyone fish warm-blooded imitations for trout and if so how did they work?

I know castin mice has been popular with the fly crowd in recent years, but I haven't thrown them much yet... Time to change that!

pc screenshot
Most mice don't get in the water on purpose. But nobody said they were smart. The stripped tail is the right idea, but lose the weight. Mice are on the surface unless they are already a corps. The reason the Morrish mouse works so well is is that it is fished at night and just a silhouette on the surface for fish looking up. So even though fishing at night, black works just fine. Not sure as I feel confident "flailing" a large fly in the dark. Parts of my ear would probably be considered bait fishing.
P.S, the Guru 3 you sent me was perfect, as advertised. Thanks

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most mice don't get in the water on purpose. But nobody said they were smart. The stripped tail is the right idea, but lose the weight. Mice are on the surface unless they are already a corps. The reason the Morrish mouse works so well is is that it is fished at night and just a silhouette on the surface for fish looking up. So even though fishing at night, black works just fine. Not sure as I feel confident "flailing" a large fly in the dark. Parts of my ear would probably be considered bait fishing.
Thanks for the tips; including the advice against ear piercing!

For the record, those mouse patterns I posted in the pic do float. The head on the articulated shank is a reversed hard foam popper head; ultra buoyant. The body (on the hook) is foam treated with rainx and wrapped with squirrel hair.
The pattern looks good in the test tank; the rear body rides just a little lower than the head which seems to mimic a mouse trying to keep their head out of water... Of course the real test is out on the water.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts