Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went out to the SS again after a great day with benson yesterday, took one of my dads friends today sense he hasnt been fishing sense last summer. he wanted to fish so i put him on some trout. got there and a beautiful morning, both of us on the first cast got a slimer. 2nd cast i got another one.... the bite was off and on trying to find out what they wanted. then i pitched it again, let it drop a foot down and started reelin, wham tacod my rod and got a nice trout. he was released

tight lines.

amus wanted a picture for his family and friends, he was so happy to have his limit and finally get on some fish.

and he did manage to catch the most ugliest thing in the lake too

now on to the question............i dont know whats all over him and i have never seen that on a trout before, yet any fish. does anyone know what this is or have any idea, would like to know.... (its not mud or sand, it was stuck to him like it was growing on his scales)

W

·
0 Posts
Dude, that fish has melonoma! Awesome crawdad, did you dip him in butter yet? Great job getting out! I need to learn how to chop, it looks like fun!

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Weezy said:
That fish looks like it has a skin infection from being poorly handled/rolling around on rocks/dirt... Slime coating damage
Yep. That is actually a fungus. They can heal, but it is sometimes fatal. They do get this way when they spawn from rocks, sand, fish-fights, etc. but handling them makes it worse.

SS

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no we let the crawdad go, it was tough gettin the hook out without gettin pinched. he was a darker blue, which was odd cause all the ones ive seen r brown. and yea that stuff on the trout was a little tough but it was like a microfiber, i rubbed a lil bit of it to see if it would come off and it didnt, i didnt want to try to pull it off and hurt the fish. when i was handeling him he was outa the water he was spittin milk heavly so we quickly got him back in.

hey swimbait, would you happen to know the name of the fungus? i would like to look into it more.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The fungus looks like a disease that fish get called ICK.... It usually starts out small by atatching its self to a fish's body. Normally fish that lack the protective slimne layer. It is contagious to the water supply and other fish. The 3rd fish on the stringer looks like the one I saw swim under me.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Benson said:
The fungus looks like a disease that fish get called ICK.... It usually starts out small by atatching its self to a fish's body. Normally fish that lack the protective slimne layer. It is contagious to the water supply and other fish. The 3rd fish on the stringer looks like the one I saw swim under me.
benj, i think thats the one that looked like a coi.....

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Black Lake 2 days in a row? That fish has a fungus from being handled with dry hands. I caught one like that at Spinney and seen a few others in shallow water like that.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea jeff, i didnt know if i should be holding it by the "fungus" so i held it the best i could, he was outa the water no more than 20 seconds, did take him about 2 minutes of holdin him at shore before he finally took off. He actually was crusin the shallow area and had his dorsal fin and part of the tail sticking out, i was like oooh, casted once, was behind him, 2nd cast he rose at it, 3rd nailed it- love my custom painted kasty ;D

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
That is the siberius pendalide fungus... the only thing is, you better be REAL sure you didn't touch it and have any type of open wound or even a hang nail. If you got that near your blood system, it could give you a permanent fungal syndrome... the type that will have you on meds for months or even years. It is simmilar to the affects of lyme disease.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oyey said:
That is the siberius pendalide fungus... the only thing is, you better be REAL sure you didn't touch it and have any type of open wound or even a hang nail.  If you got that near your blood system, it could give you a permanent fungal syndrome... the type that will have you on meds for months or even years.  It is simmilar to the affects of lyme disease.   
yikes, does the DOW need to be contacted?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Oyey said:
That is the siberius pendalide fungus... the only thing is, you better be REAL sure you didn't touch it and have any type of open wound or even a hang nail. If you got that near your blood system, it could give you a permanent fungal syndrome... the type that will have you on meds for months or even years. It is simmilar to the affects of lyme disease.
Trust me...you don't want that at all.. But Jason, I didn't know that?

D.J.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oyey said:
Could we please get the correct spelling on siberius pendalide fungus? I tried to google it and got nothing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts