Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is a little early for this topic. Anyone have any comments, questions, bragging or reports? Lets liven up this forum!!

Here, I'll start it off: Boyd Lake

I hear all the time about the lake producing decent Walleye. I myself have seen some fairly large ones caught outta there. Can anyone relate?

I haven't fished the lake in the past couple of years due to the drought conditions, but now the lake is full again. I'm thinking about persuing some white bass and crappie this coming April.

·
Registered
472 Posts
A lot of folks still don't realize there is decent warm water fishing in Colorado. I mean "decent" compared to California, Texas and Florida...prime warm water fisheries where bass get +10 pounds.

After hearing a few guys talking about it (and getting pushed off of places like 11-Mile cuz of the crowds), I bought a medium/heavy action rod and went bassin'.

Caught my first 5 pound hawg in 2002 and never looked back. Now I fish for trout in my OFF-season.

It won't be long now before smallies and bucket mouth get back into an aggressive pattern and I'll be on the water daily!

Luv fishing!

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I have one word for you....................QUINCY!!!!! Man I can't wait for it to open. Start getting after those bass.

-Jay

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
I still like to hit Spinney for monsters...especially the occasional brown trout...and the high lakes for brookies and cuts...but it has gotten bad when we fish the warm water lakes...we have turned into fish bigots...I caught 2 perch, 4 walleyes, 1 catfish, and 2 wipers...oh yeah and 6 trash fish (rainbows)...or my buddy will catch a walleye and I'll catch 5 trout and he will claim he is still in the lead for the day cuz all I caught was "trash" fish...pretty sad...

·
Registered
214 Posts
In June of 03', I caught a nice 28" walleye that weighed in at a little bit over 7 pounds...I never knew that Boyd had walleye that big until that day...Another kid that was fishing by my side said that him and his gramp had caught two nice ones about the same size as mine the day before....I'll post some pics if I can find them...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I am a bass freak but love to flyfish trout in the winter. I only know about Aroura, Quincy, Chatfield, and Pueblo for decent bass. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I catch a lot of bass at Lonetree while fishing for walleye and you can see them everywhere. If you have a boat, go back into the outlet arm where all the submerged trees are. A friend of mine caught a 5lb walleye on a spinnerbait while bass fishing in there.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
This time of year I fish the smaller, shallower, dark bottomed ponds-they turn on the earliest. I've been catching largemouth for the past 3 weeks but its still not quite there yet-weather looks like were on a warming trend so it should get better soon. Ed

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I guess i will have to do some exploring. Is lone tree a big res? Should I be on a big boat or would a pond prowler work. I enjoy fishing from boats but unfamiliar with the surrounding lakes. Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
McFish,

Lonetree is a smaller res. Wakeless speed only. You could get by with a prowler but a bigger boat would work too. I fish it a lot for wiper and have seen some nice eyes come out from the trees also. The lake has cats, trout, wiper, eyes and crappie. Not a lot of pressure. Admitted, a hard lake to figure out due to the large amount of forage fish. My biggest bass was a largemouth that measured 25 inches. A quick kiss and back in the water. T-Fin

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
McFish said:
I am a bass freak but love to flyfish trout in the winter.  I only know about Aroura, Quincy, Chatfield, and Pueblo for decent bass.  Am I missing something? 
You aint missin nothin if you're the type that likes fishing close to the metro area. If you're the explorer type then I'd recomend that you pick up on any kind of open space information that you could find for counties along the front range. Them open space ponds have always been the best.

As the years go by, they open some up for fishing (unadvertised) while at the same time, some gets closed for habitat restoration. Bottom line is, if you find any of these "little surface acre" paradises, then you're in for a big secret between you and your rod.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh and in addition to that, when I say along the front range, I meant anywhere in front of the mountains from New Mexico all the way up to Wyoming.

There are the Eastern Plains reservoirs too, but it'll be a while before those recover on the water levels.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
1eyered, I see you mention Barbor Ponds once in awhile. Do you catch bass there ever (if so what pond)? Also, I saw that you guys just got a lot of trout there, which pond was that? Were they decent sized, or the real small ones (I caught some very small ones there earlier this year)? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
james said:
1eyered, I see you mention Barbor Ponds once in awhile. Do you catch bass there ever (if so what pond)? Also, I saw that you guys just got a lot of trout there, which pond was that? Were they decent sized, or the real small ones (I caught some very small ones there earlier this year)? Thanks.
The park has so much pressure, I don't know if there will be a good chance of catching lunker bass. Although, it is not unheard of. I think Jay said something about catching a heavyweight bass out of there in the 90's. I have personally caught a few 10 to 12 inchers from the big pond (the biggest pond). Give it a try though, those ponds turn up surprises all the time and I think the DOW are planting "big surprises" in those ponds to keep the visitors flowing for the duration of the warm season.

The ones we were catching are nothing to brag about. Just pan sized. I went this morning again for a few to butter up on the new grill, but I'll post the details on the report. It's such a coincidence that somebody from this site asks me about Barbour Ponds right after my trip there. Two weeks ago, my buddy and I went and he caught a female about 15 inches, but really fat and squirting eggs all over as soon as it came out of the water. Biggest I've seen this year.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I wish I could have seen that. Maybe I can sneak a peak next week. As for the nets containing primarily males. That is not uncommon according to my reading. Males tend to hit the spawning areas before the females and the water temp may not be optimal for spawning yet, so a lot of females are holding back, making the males wait. (hmmm sounds like a female to me, no disrepect intended to our fairer members of the forum :))

Dan

·
Registered
281 Posts
EYERED,
Go across 119 to the ponds by kb homes not to many big one but lot of action i take my kids there they never get bored.
I am giong to try boulder red tomarrow afternoon let you know how it goes.
jigs or wally divers?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
You mean the ones right next to the road near the new KB homes..off of 3 1/2 or close to there?...i live near there, i didnt know it was public...

what do ya catch in there...

·
Registered
214 Posts
wiper_stalker said:
In June of 03', I caught a nice 28" walleye that weighed in at a little bit over 7 pounds...I never knew that Boyd had walleye that big until that day...Another kid that was fishing by my side said that him and his gramp had caught two nice ones about the same size as mine the day before....I'll post some pics if I can find them...

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
stuccoman01 said:
EYERED,
Go across 119 to the ponds by kb homes not to many big one but lot of action i take my kids there they never get bored.
I am giong to try boulder red tomarrow afternoon let you know how it goes.
jigs or wally divers?
South side of 119? Near car wash, bout 200 yards west, east of the turn in for barbour? Or north of 119?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts