Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready for a trip to Nebraska for some warm water fishing. Had to re-populate my fly boxes. Here's a few pics of some of my recent ties. Anybody have any goto pike/bass patterns they're willing to share?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
When is your trip? I have a 5 day trip planned for the 1st week of June for NE warm water sissy sticking too.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Nice, we were there 2 years ago for 1st week of May and the weather screwed us with a late April snow storm. Then last year we went the 1st week of June and had a good trip on the pike and perch, water was still cold from a cold snap so no bass or gills. NE weather seems to not like us greenies,lol.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
We did stop on our way back and hit some ponds along I-80 and got into some bass and gills. But they were pretty inactive on the refuge.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Streamer box is not complete until you have some white. Also spun deer hair flies..

Love the furled dubbing loop tails!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions on white. I do have some white "slump busters" and rabbit strip streamers but may have to tie up some white meat whistles. Do you put weed guards on your jigs? I'm not sure they help that much.

Haven't started on my deer hair poppers and sliders box yet

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've never tried weed guards. Wouldn't be a bad idea since some of these can be expensive flies. I've thought about trying the Eagle Claw version of the Gamakatsu jig hook, but likely I'd get what I pay for.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Here is a worm i tied with a weed guard. Have not tried it yet.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I have also been fishing alot of micro streamers with my little 3 wt for warm water fish. One of my favorites is keel weighted with .035 lead wire. Tail and wind with a Icelandic sheep wool with a little ice dub, or Ice dub/shimmer fring. body with whatever coated in clear cure. painted on eyes. Rides hook up and sheds most of the water fast while casting, the clear cure body cuts thru the water fast while the wing creates resistance and neutral boyancy. The hook rides up and they cast nice even on light rods and sink pretty fast.

Another recent favorite is mayers micro leech...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have also been fishing alot of micro streamers with my little 3 wt for warm water fish. One of my favorites is keel weighted with .035 lead wire. Tail and wind with a Icelandic sheep wool with a little ice dub, or Ice dub/shimmer fring. body with whatever coated in clear cure. painted on eyes. Rides hook up and sheds most of the water fast while casting, the clear cure body cuts thru the water fast while the wing creates resistance and neutral boyancy. The hook rides up and they cast nice even on light rods and sink pretty fast.

Another recent favorite is mayers micro leech...
The micro streamer I tie is a bullet head with either craft fur or buck tail. I also use clear cure for the head.

I also tie a 1/80th oz micro jig similar to Golden Rod's.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Caught tons of bass and big crappie twitching a turks tarantula under the surface with a Gartside Sparrow trailing. sz 10 minnows ( grey/white with silver flash ) = money

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Those bucktails are great. I am going to have to tie some of those up. I love those little fly sized jigs. I picked up some the winter before last. I have been painting the heads and eyes on them with nail polish.

·
Registered
485 Posts
You can always tell who the flyfishermen - fly tyers are - they're the ones browsing Jo-Ann's fabrics, cruising the cosmetic aisles in the stores, and raiding their wives craft baskets!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
You can always tell who the flyfishermen - fly tyers are - they're the ones browsing Jo-Ann's fabrics, cruising the cosmetic aisles in the stores, and raiding their wives craft baskets!
They also keep plastic bags, air fresheners and a hunting knife in the car at all times and scan the roadside for dead stuff.......

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
A must have for any box warm water or otherwise is the Rodney Dangerfield of flies.. The one that gets no respect... The pistole pete... Buy some propellers! When nothing else will work. It has saved me from the skunk so many times. It has also caught me the widest range of fish. Last summer I got my first catfish on a fly rod with a black pistole pete. Got my first carp a few weeks ago on a bright yellow ice dub pistole pete. I have had it save the day at the mile on trout. Crappie, sunfish and bass will fall for it. Tie a few of your favorite streamers as a PP, or just tie up some in a range of colors, it will make a believer out of you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts