Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this warm weather mean more unsafe ice conditions this weekend for Loveland and Boyd? How bad is 53 degrees on 6-8" of ice?

J

·
0 Posts
Yep - Boyd will be down to an inch of ice by 5pm Friday. Everyone should stay away. ;D

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
jamiehughes said:
i think that it may cause the ice to come off of antero this weekend.... ::)
Yep!!! Will be scary for sure :eek: ;D

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
i will give a full report tomarrow on antero ice contions, with this warm weather! well i better hit the sack! got some bow bows to catch! >:D

·
Registered
709 Posts
Being new to colorado and ice fishing I'm curious as well....

I just made some ice picks with screwdrivers (something I should have done last season when I started).

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would say the mountain lakes are definately OK - no damage there from this warmer weather. But - the local lakes, even though it is melting day and night - it still takes more then 3 days to melt 6 inches of ice. But, I'd be cautios none the less. Take the wife this weekend!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
melting day and night? have the night time temps been above freezing?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
MarkE said:
I would say the mountain lakes are definately OK - no damage there from this warmer weather. But - the local lakes, even though it is melting day and night - it still takes more then 3 days to melt 6 inches of ice. But, I'd be cautios none the less. Take the wife this weekend!
Agreed on this. Forecast is for slightly warmer weather in mountains, but not enough to have much of any impact. I bet on west side of divide it will be business as usual. It'll just be Denver and the front range that will warm up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think so - I was out last night at midnight and the snow didn't even get crusty from the days melting. Under the snow was water. So even tho the thermometer might read under 32 deg - I think it's still melting - or at least not refreezing.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
This warm weather will make a difference on the surface especially the frozen slush and snow forming the top couple of inches. the clear stuff below should hold pretty well. Temps overnight are predicted for sub freezing so that should slow down the thaw. don't be surprised if there is a thin layer of ice in the am over a couple of inch layer of water over several inches of solid ice.

The factor that could really cause problems is wind. Wind will move the melted water around and speed up melting. fortunately the forecast is for relative calm.

Also expect the edges along the shore to be weak and thin. Test the ice and when possible follow in the tracks of another person.

Dan

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'll be on a western slope lake tomorrow. I'll let you know what the ice is like. The temps for tonight is a low of 21 and a high tomorrow of 41. There will be a slush situation I'm sure.

·
Registered
829 Posts
When we were up at Anterro on the 3rd. It was in the 50's in Co Springs, we left at 1:20 and the truck registered 22. It would take consistent day of warm weather and winds to deplete the ice at Anterro

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
Antero will be ice covered until April...

·
Registered
240 Posts
jamiehughes said:
Boondock said:
jamiehughes said:
i think that it may cause the ice to come off of antero this weekend.... ::)
Yep!!! Will be scary for sure :eek: ;D

especially if you guys are out there, everyone better keep their pants pulled up and zipped up out there this weekend. ;D ;D
except for clint.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was at Hagler late yesterday, about 5' top turning to slush. ice smooth but not clear in spots. boyd looked worse but had 5 groups out on it, 1 guy at the parking lot said 8', I don't know about that. fishing at hagler was slow, lost 2, couple of bites. grubs seemed to do better.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts