Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In response to Rottal's request, I'll start posting some questions I've had. As I said in a previous thread, I'm fairly new to flyfishing. I'd enjoy more chances to do it and I'd even like to try warmwater flyfishing for crappie and bluegill, maybe even bass close to Denver. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
There ya go...thanks for posting....

warmwater spots? theres quite a few. im more oriented towards the north metro area though. for me, Sawhill Ponds and Pella Crossing offer about the best "local" opportunities for panfish and such...and of you Denver guys have any suggestions? if you are interested in any areas around Boulder/Longmont ill go into more detail....

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boulder is not too far, so I'd love specifics. I'm going to 11 mile canyon on sunday, but I'll be up bright and early tomorrow trying to get some bass in a couple of gardens I know at Quincy. I love small ponds though. I saw the post on Meridian Pond and I may try that--isn't it private, or has anyone ever been kicked out?

Also, how about strategies. I have an assortment of plugs, streamers, etc, but I really don't know what to use.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I like Pella Crossing...lots of ponds, and the bass opportunities for both large and smallmouth excellent. i believe theres been quite a few posts in the past on this body of water, so check out some on the "fishing reports" section as far as specifics. its located in Hygiene (between Longmont and Boulder), and is open during the daytime...access is easy, as there are paths around all of the lakes. for panfish (perch, bluegills, crappie) i like small streamers (8, 10, 12s)--colors are not too important, but i like to keep them dark. small nymphs also will work, but you will catch a lot of smaller fish, so i tend to keep my flies larger to keep most of the wee little guys off of it. for bass just use something larger...bunny flies, large wooley buggers, and in the evening or early morning topwater stuff. ive also had luck with clouser minnows there if you can keep them out of the weeds. the water clarity there is good, i like to sight fish there for bass in the shallows. bring polarized glasses. its mostly catch and release there, so keep that in mind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts