Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend of mine did just that last week at pueblo. the water is going down and where we could go in may is now only inches deep. he went at a fast speed into inches of water and messed up his prop, his whole boat was on the high spot. he had to get out of the boat and was able to rock and push the boat into deeper water and limp back to the dock. it looked like the hull had some scratches and the lower unit missed the rock that the prop blades hit.

if you aren't sure how deep the water is , slow down and watch your fishfinder if you set the depth alarm to warn you when the water is 5 feet or less you can keep from going aground. if you know the lake real well you won't have any trouble

back when I was new at pueblo, I let my son drive the boat, a friend was in the front seat, I was in the back, I looked at the fishfinder and it said we were in 90 fow so I looked ahead and hollered look out we were going about 30 mph I could tell the water was shallow ahead, my boy made a hard turn just a bit to late and we hit ship rock in 6 inches of water. it cracked the fiberglass hull broke the front of the lower unit off broke off one blade of the prop. we were still afloat so I tried starting the motor it ran
ok but when I put it in gear it shook bad but moved the boat so we headed to the south marina at about one mph and ran the bilge pump all the way. when we got the boat out and looked at the damage, the lower unit had the whole front gone but the gear shaft was intact you could fit a tennis ball in the hole, the hull had a crack on the keel line and bad scratches elsewhere.

the repair bill was over 4 grand in 1987, the boat was never the same again other things showed up in the next few years. I kept throwing money into it till 1993 when I bought the one I have now. over the years I have found the truth of Break Out Another Thousand

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Islands are showing up at Boggs Flat-just above the waterline and they would do some real damage. Some buoy markers would be good but I doubt they'll do that. That whole area has humps that become islands when the water drops.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Seeker. I'm fairly new to PLO (several years now) but when they drop it like they do it's like fishing a new place every time I go there. It's gotta be affecting the fish as well. At any rate plan on going down sometime this week. Experience is important at PLO and I just have to pay my "dues"...:)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
About 5 years ago I pulled an all-nighter at P-Lo and was going east around Middle Island around 9AM, heading into the marina. As I got near the turn I tried to stay in between the big rock/boulder on the south shore on my right and Middle Island on my left. Unfortunately, two boats were motoring quickly to the west and I went to the right to avoid them. The water level was low and that big rock/boulder against the south shore of Middle Island was about two feet down. I raked my skeg and banged up the prop pretty good. No body damage though - thank God! Low water calls for caution.

The other issue down there are the sunken trees coming into play. Looks like they've stabilized the level for now.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
We were at Lake Powell back in about 2013 over Independence Day. Down near the Rincon, we saw a pretty nice Formula up on the rocks. Only speculating, but I would guess someone was trying to run up-lake in the dark, and didn't have a good idea of where the shoreline was.

As you can see, they hit hard, and were high and dry. Later that day, we saw the boat in tow, headed back to Bullfrog. It is more than 20 miles distance. Under tow, the boat didn't seem to be taking on water.

I am sure there was damage done, but that is when I learned that fiberglass is tough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts