Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I walked by Washington Park in Denver. I saw a lake called "Smith Lake". Does anybody know about that lake and know what kind of bait/lures work best there? Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
There are three lakes at Wash Park - Smith Lake (On the North Side), Grasmere Lake (on the South Side) and Washington Park Lake per Google or Lilly Pond per the sign at the lake (next to the Fire Station on the north side - only kids are allowed to fish it).

A lot of folks fish for stocked rainbows at Smith Lake with typical baits for stocked rainbows.

A couple of weekends ago I saw a young kid fishing with a fly rod at the kid's only lake by the fire station - I don't know if he was successful but if I remember right, he was there two days in a row and then again the following weekend so he must do OK sometimes.

I haven't fished it in a couple of years but I walk around the park regularly for the exercise and the scenery...I see a lot of activity on the water when I go early in the morning (Park opens at 6am) and I have seen it pick up over the last few weekends. The lakes have stocked trout as well as typical warm water species (bluegill, bass, etc.). There are quite a few crawfish in the lakes too.

Just a heads up - a lot of Grasmere Lake has been roped off for shoreline restoration. Last weekend it was roped off but this morning when I walked by it wasn't. I'm not sure if they've completely taken down the ropes or not.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
The Lily Pond (for kids 16 and under) has some nice carp by the reeds. They spooked pretty easy after my daughter missed the hookset on her second bite.

Powerbait and trout nuggets didn't get any action. Sweetcorn got some carp bites but they were quick to spit the hook. My son reeled in a crawdad that was clamped onto his hook with sweet corn. The sucker hung on until he was two feet out of the water before letting go. The kids got a kick out of that.

The bugs were pretty bad at night and the goose poop was EVERYWHERE.

I went back to the larger lake (Smith lake) last weekend with my inflatable boat and the kids to find out from the ranger that you need a special Denver Parks boating permit. Not to mention it's $45 and would've expired in Oct/Nov and they don't sell day passes. It's apparently different than State Parks where you don't need a permit for an inflatable rowboat.

A kid caught a little panfish on a fake minnow under a bobber. It was an interesting setup but whatever works!

Funny thing is I bet the fly fishing kid that Soapy Smith saw was probably the same kid I saw when we went a month ago.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
UPDATE:
The lily pond (kids fishing pond) had quite a few fish active by the tall grass. A few that appeared to be small trout jumping full body out of the water. I don't think I've ever seen trout do that. However, they weren't interested in anything we threw at them.

Powerbait, nightcrawlers and sweet corn wasn't working.

Kids got bored and we went to Smith lake by the rental boat dock but didn't have any bites.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts