Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I've been tossing around a fun idea for the summer as part of the online fly shop and guide service I am trying to start.  I want to have a waterton Canyon Fly fishing tournament sometime this summer.  Right now...here is what I have in mind

Entry Fee: $75.00

First place: 300 dollars+1st place trophy
Second Place: 200 dollars + 2nd place trohpy
Third Place: Money back +3rd place trophy.

Note These winnings are based on my goal of having 50 particpants which will give me 3,750 dollars to work with.

The tournament would start at 6AM and run until 3PM in the afternoon.  Each participant will be paired with a tournament employee who records and measures every fish cought. The winner is established by total inches of fish cought for the day meaning every fish counts.  The tie breaker will be biggest fish cought and the second tie break will be number of fish cought. 

Here are some things to consider for my situation

1. I am trying to make and save money as well as get my name out so I can start my guide business.
2. I will  have some overhead in having to pay every worker who records fish for every participant . I figure I know enough people who would do this for me at 50 dollars pay. if I have 50 participants I will need 50 workers making my cost $2,500.
3. The prize money and trophies will equal out to aprox. $600 dollars in expendetures. 
4. 3,100 dollars in expendetures leaves me with $650 to start my business. 

Here are my questions for the tournament

1. is 75 dollars an acceptable entry fee if there is 575 dollars of total prize money available? If not, what would be an acceptable entry fee considering my costs and goals?

2. How many people do you think I could have sign up?

3. Will DOW have any issue with this?

4. Does it sound like something any of yall would be interested in?

Thanks guys and sorry for the long post. I tried to condence it as much as I could but still give out the needed info for yall to generate helpful responces.  I would greatly appreciate any input yall might have!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Re: Fly Fishing Tournament

Most Fly fishing tournaments I've seen you only measure 1 fish. If you measure a fish and then start fishing again that fish is voided. Its a great rule I think because it makes it more risky.
Lenght + Girth

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Fly Fishing Tournament

I considered that Epic, but my only fear with that is at Waterton, we will have about 50 fish that measure out right around 13 inches.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I would be more worried about adding 30-40 12-14inch fish up, some days on Waterton can be onfire and that is what you will be catching all day.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear ya...but that's what Im paying people to do for me. Epic do you think 75 is a reasonable entry fee for most people or atleast 50 people?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
For me its to high, but I am not a skilled fly fisherman and would be scared to compete. There have been numerous fly fishing competitions in this state I'm sure someone on this forum has competed in one or 2. They would be more apt at telling you if it was a fair entry fee.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
PescadoDiablo4 said:
Thanks Epic, I certainly appreciate your two cents!
Don't short him now, ePiC's opinions are sometimes worth at least three or four cents! >:D

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
You know I would be interested in something like this. I would pay $75.00 but I am young and have money to throw around. I think it might be to much for most. I have never fished waterton but I would practice up if I was in a tourny. A little compitition is fun.

How would you decide on fishing locations? Most fly tournaments I have seen in the past have different beets and the anglers switch beets during the day. Is there enough productive water for 50 beets?

Keep us informed.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have scene tournaments like you mentioned with the differant beats. That would certainly be one way of organizing it. Sure, there are 50 spots...the entire canyon is about 6 miles long and I've cought fish the entire way up. However, I was thinking about making it like a bass tournament....where it's like "ready set go" and then a mad dash of boats to the best spot. Haha, I could just picture it, 50 guys on bikes waiting for the start signal to go racing up the canyon. Probably a disaster waiting to happen so for that reason, I think I would make it a no bikes alowed tourney. I dunno though, still playing with ideas.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Also you have to throw in the anglers who are fishing but not in the tournament. You have to let them be and make sure all the competitors do so as well. You would need to make up a set of "anglers ethics" for the tournament.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea good point...adding to the reason of why it would be hard to establish set beets. One way to cut costs however would be to make it a team tourney with groups of 3 competing against eachother. You could either make your "fantasy team" or be paired randomly if you dont have 3 people to fish with. Dang, it would be hard for me to have to sit this one out but I think for administrative reasons I would have my hands full.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
The team idea is a good one. But would all three fish at once? Or will the day be split in to three beats for each team?

I really think this is a good idea. I am already thinking up ideas for my teams uniforms!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea all three would fish at once but would have to stay within distance of the guy recording fish. I dont think I am going to have set beets but rather make it an open water type of deal where the teams could fish wherever they want maintaing proper etiquette. I think if I could have 3 people monitored by 1 judge I would have far less people to pay and could make the entry fee a lot less.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
PescadoDiablo4 said:
Thanks Epic, I certainly appreciate your two cents!
Don't short him now, ePiC's opinions are sometimes worth at least three or four cents!   >:D
Some times its not even worth that much. :p

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Sounds good. If you got the entry fee lower you would probably get a lot more intrest.

I can't wait to see flyers for it at my local fly shop.  ;D

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
have you checked into the permiting process for such a tournement? the do might not allow such a thing or be restictive in many ways id hate to see you get things going only to be shut down by the dow

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea that was one of my initial concerns, and I will go about contacting the DOW before I start anything. I dont see why they would have an issue with it, but ya never know

R

·
0 Posts
I believe you need a permit to host any tournament in which state wildlife is involved.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
yes the permit is needed and they may not like the number of fisherman it will concentrate on the stream

1 - 20 of 40 Posts