Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been fishing this lake since it opened (78?) and can never remember a water temp this low for last week in August. Fished all over and had 70-71 everywhere I went.

Lots of dinks again although I got one real nice spot-16+ that was as fat as any spot I've ever seen. Gorging on the shad hatch no doubt.

·
Registered
116 Posts
This is my fourth year and I was wondering about it. Last few years it was almost 80 degrees at this time. Early fall bite maybe?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Part of it may be increased flows into the reservoir which tend to lower the temp but like
you I am used to 80 mid to late August. Of course thats only a surface temp.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are they on the bottom or are they suspended?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Neal, is it worth running a bottom bouncer through those sites as well?
Most are to vertical. They are setting up to ambush the shad schools as they come to close to the humps, or they are suspending out over deeper water where you need t least six colors of lead to get to them.

I have a charter on Thursday and it will be interesting to see if things stay constant?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Most are to vertical. They are setting up to ambush the shad schools as they come to close to the humps, or they are suspending out over deeper water where you need t least six colors of lead to get to them.

I have a charter on Thursday and it will be interesting to see if things stay constant?
Water was back up to 74 on the west end Thursday and Friday. Shad hatch is just insane! Got into a school of crappie fairly deep and spooned up a dozen eaters.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There is a tremendous number of crappie in the lake. Although most of mine have been shallow and smallish. Last month they would come to within a foot of the surface, I could watch them snap up the jig. Pretty fun, as I was in a yak at the time. Dang near could have reached down and grabbed 'em.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts