Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
tourney was a great time. I think about 53 teams entered. Lot's of smaller fish caught (14 to 24 inches, 1 to 3 pounds), but a few teams did really well. First place team weighed around 44 pounds with 10 fish, second place team was around 29 pounds with 10 fish. 2nd place team caught the big fish of the day, around 11.5 pounds. Only one other big fish around 10.5 pounds was caught with several in the 4 to 8 pound range. Water clarity was good, temperature was good, a little bit of wind all day, but generally great conditions.

Fish were caught on a lot of different presentations, baits and locations. Those who have put in their time on that lake did really well.

Waterwolves - How did you guys do this year? I didn't have a chance to track you down after the tourney, but am interested in how you did. We didn't do well. Caught lots of fish on Friday evening, but Saturday seemed completely different, go figure.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I fished Friday with no luck. One fish in the boat at 3 pounds and one fish on that I lost. Sat I didn't even get a bite. No follows, no bites nothing. lol Me and my wife got off the lake early (1:00) because my trolling battery died and it was so slow for us. 44 lbs is pretty good though. Did they say where they caught those fish? Anyway thats fishing I didn't really put in my time on the lake so thats what I get. It looks like there was very few big fish caught so if I had to guess I would say the winning teams came out of the inlet. I fished the inlet in the morning for a couple of hours but as stated above no luck.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I fished the tournament with John Fierro from Gander Mountain on Saturday as well. I caught 2 pike, about 6 inches long apiece (1/2 a lb. between the two of them, how embarassing is that?) and John caught nothing. We didn't see any fish or have any follows the entire day. We threw big Tasmanian Devils, Rat-L-Traps, Husky Jerks, buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, and big jigs to no avail. We fished the inlet, Witcher's Cove, and Howbert Point most of the day. I heard the winner was using Tasmanian Devil's, but I can't confirm that. Oh well, better luck next time.  :mad:  

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Thanks for the posts fellas!! It was tough fishing conditions. The weather was stable the week or 10 days prior to the tourney and on Friday afternoon/ evening a front moved through so don't know if it was cold front conditions that affected the fishing conditions.

There were actually 58 teams that entered with only 38 weighing fish. My weights from my previous post were a bit off, but were based on what I heard at the weigh in. Results are now posted on the 11-Mile website.

I had a chance to talk to the second place team and the big fish winner and they caught their fish from Stoll Mtn. to the Inlet. They were trolling all day so covering a lot of water quickly. They told me what they were using all day. They thought they had it won and were extremely surprised to see a team weigh more that 10 pounds over their weight. The first place team was from out of state I guess, but they must have had it dialed in. I would just like to know where they were fishing. They didn't even weigh one of the big fish, but thier fish averaged over 4 pounds a piece. We were right next to the guy who caught a 10.5 pound pike in the West end so some of the success, I believe, was being in the right place at the right time and getting the bait infront of a hungry fish, which is the case most of the time anyway. That fisherman caught one other dink on the day, but the big fish paid off.

We also met team 3 on Friday and they had a tough time fishing on Friday, but killed them on Tourney day, what the ??????. Talked to them at the end of the day and they were fishing areas you wouln't think would be prime Pike habitat.

11-Mile is a big body of water, very healthy, and I believe the Pike are all over using different types of structure. I know fish were caught all over the lake. Keeps you guessing...

It was just fun to be there, in competition with other anglers, and definitely good knowledge was gained.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts