Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im gonna try using some waterdogs tonight for tigers ...im not quite sure how to rig them to keep them active and alive and even more important how long of a steel leader should I use ....

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
You can fish them on a slip bobber, setting the bobber stop so the bait rides just above the bottom. You can also use the same jig & pig combo you were throwing and replace the pig with the dog. Go with at least a 6" or 8" leader. Either that or live dangerously and go with heavy mono for your leader. Good Luck! Bag a big Tiger!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have another question....my plueger baitcaster took a poop on me so my two option are a spinning rod with 8lb dia. 40lb strength spider wire .....or my catfishing set up with 20lb mono...its an ugly stick with a closefaced reel on it ....I only paid 40 for the combo and dont know if I trust the drag

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Hook the water dog in the bottom jaw and up out the top. Set it up on a slip weight and trow it out on the bottom.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fishinguitars said:
im gonna try using some waterdogs tonight for tigers ...im not quite sure how to rig them to keep them active and alive
I like to rig them with a weedless hook (one with a light wire weedguard). Run the hook up from the bottm jaw and out the top jaw, then clip the weed guard closed. It keeps the 'dog on the hook, cuz that hole where the hook is will enlarge some as you fish. You can then "swim" the waterdog around in the vegetation as you prowl the bank. If I'm working waterdogs for pike or bass, I prefer to fish more actively than just hanging the bait from a float or plunking it down on the bottom. You can present the bait to a lot more fish that way. JMO

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the help guys ...im gonna go with the spinning gear and a 8 inch leader .......as far as hooks I dont have any weedless hooks but anything else i pretty much have ....kahle hooks ...circle hooks.....big j hooks ....I might just us a j hook and do the rubberband trick to keep the waterdog from getting off

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fishinguitars said:
I might just us a j hook and do the rubberband trick to keep the waterdog from getting off
That should work. Good luck!!!

With a front coming in this evening, your timing might just be perfect.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do you set the hook with kahle hooks or is it like a circle hook

·
Registered
164 Posts
im scared of water dogs they are the wierdest things ive ever seen, i was told to hook em through thier bottome lip out thier upper they have gills so the stay alive for a while.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
water dogs are the larval (gilled) form of the aquatic tiger salamander they have the shape of a lizard but skin more like a frog and the larvel form has gills to breath under water

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
if i was fishing them on the bottom with a slip rig i would hookem in the under side at the base of the tail so that they swim and move better

if i was tossing them like a plastic then i would hook em thru the lips bottom to top and go wieghtless or carolina rig em if i wanted to get them down

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
yes you can use shinners and other minnows east of the continental divide below 7000 ft altitude we have even discussed using gold fish and by the letter of the regs it is ok but some have run into wardens that disagree

lots of shops sell shiners and fathead minows but not sure how late into the season they are available i get mine from a pet/fish store down here

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
TL said:
Alright guys what the fu** are Water Dogs. I'm hoping I just call them something else. I'm assuming they are some sort of minnow.
You might have heard them called mud puppies. They are ugly, but harmless.

There are several species, so they vary in looks a little.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
They are salamader puppies, like a tadpole stage for salamaders.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
my buddy bought some a couple of years ago and it was the same with him, we didn't catch anything and he kept them alive for like 2 months before setting them free somewhere just didn't have the heart to kill them..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts