Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,109 Posts
WOw .. WATERDOGS .. I tried em early this spring down in GROSS RES .. Nothing.. Tried em everywhere else. NOTHING . Good luck while using em. Maybe you'll have better luck then me. Dont buy soo much as I did. I bought a Dozen and still have a few till this day. Them things turn into SALAMANDERS.. I never knew that. The Gills will fall off when they grow up. SAME SIZE THOUGH. When they turn Like a tiger lookin ( stripes on both sides ) that means that they are growing .. Just alittle info on my experience. They have a hard time eating .. They seem blind .. and more of a smell taste little guys. I fed em little / baby worms.. Night crawlers were a bit too big for mines.

While fishing .. They tend to just craw and then hide themselves in the dirt. So if your bait fishing with them .. Make sure to tug on em once in a while. Thats make em move around ..

steve
-WELL GOOD LUCK USING THEM MAN ..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
well thanks for all they advise guys ....I used a kahle hook colored red and an 8 inch leader .....I had two chasing it and one that turned on it face down tail up .....then for some reason it took off ....so I tried it without the leader and had my first bite....had the tail hanging on by a thread .....I was so excited my heart was pumping then quicky after my wife started in on how we need to leave .......I seen something crazy when I first walked in by the house there in the shallows ...a largemouth no sH!t it looked to be about 15 or 16 inches ....I didnt know they had bass at evergreen ......anyways the jury is still out for me on water dogs maybe ill try them again .....

· Registered
60 Posts
jamiehughes said:
i can't handle fishing with them. i end up feeling sorry for them cause they look at you and make noises. so i guess i'm a softie???
OMG they make noises? I was considering trying them out for a while too! that would turn my stomach guess I should stick with the soft plastic water dogs then.

· Registered
6,955 Posts
remember if you keep them for awhile and they lose their gills they are no longer legal for bait only the gilled form

G

·
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Awesome choice for a bait. I fish them for cats, using a slip rig and 5/0 hook. I hook them through the tail and set the clicker on my reel. That way they can take a walk if they want.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.