Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At elevenmile and the Fork you are not allowed to use live bait but I have heard that you are allowed to use something called a waterdog. Does anybody know where you can get these things? I usually get my bait at Gander Mtn. in Aurora and they do not carry them.

In addition, do pike really hit these?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I thought a waterdog was sort of like a salamander, but I could be mistaken. I think I have also heard of these being used for pike but again, I'ts been a long time so I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Water dogs (also called hellbenders and mud puppies) are live bait. Whoever told you otherwise is misinformed.

They are the juvenile forms of salamanders -- but they never grow into the adult form. Instead, they spend their entire life under water. They eat crayfish, aquatic insects, and small fish. Big bass love them.

They taste like chicken.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/narcam/idguide/atigrin.htm
The picture at the bottom of the page is a waterdog (tiger salamander larvae.)
They are legal to use in all of mountain lakes (except for fly and lure only places) because they are not fish. Most guys use them for pike, although some use them for big lake trout, bass, and walleyes.

We do carry them regularly at Gander Mtn during ice season (they usually sell out as soon as we get them). We usually have a hard time getting them in the open water months because the bait guys can sell them for so much more in the southern states.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Absolute Anglers had them for ice fishing but I don't know if they stock them now or in the warmer months

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
rob said:
Does anyone have any ideas on where they can be caught???
In basement window sills, caves, ponds, or very moist areas.... in warmer areas. In Colorado I would have to say you'd have to be on the plains to catch them. I think the climate along the Front Range and Western Slope isnt warm enough for them. (I could be wrong) I use to catch alot of them as a kid in small caves along the river and at my Aunts house in the basment window sills under the leaves, in Nebraska. In North Carolina I could catch them on small flies or jigs right out of the ponds, a buddy of mine use to net them there too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Couple things to comment on here...Waterfowler, you started this topic saying that Elevenmile and Williams Fork, not allowed to use live bait.
What I think you meant was not allowed to use live minnows. You can absoluetly use live bait (i.e. night crawlers, waterdawgs) @ EM, WF but no live minnows per DOW regs.
Anyhowz, Bills Bait / Tackle, 6001 Washington (just east of 58th & I25)
303-288-2434 carries an array of minnows and water dawgs.
Good Luck..tight lines...Pikester01

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
pike hit em. A guy used to sell em in the town of silt, but he doesn't anymore. Pike fishing is better with other things than waterdogs though, so I wouldn't worry too much about not havin em to use.

·
Registered
248 Posts
outlaw bait and general fishing tackle in colorado springs almost always have them outlaw carries the biggest selection of live bait i have seen in cs.. waterdogs,suckers,all kinds if little fish who knows what they are

·
Registered
128 Posts
You can get them right there at 11 mile. They sell them at the marina. At least they did when I was there last summer.. Good fishing

·
Registered
176 Posts
Absolute anglers does have them, along with a few others in the metro area. I hate to correct W-E, but they do mature into salamanders, they absorb their gills and mature, they only do this if the oxygen levels drop in the water enough to promote this behavior. I have seen water dogs in just about every high mountain lake in colorado. I have fished them at eleven mile several imes without any luck, but I'll prolly keep trying.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts