Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get out of school earlyier than my buddies, so I get bored and end up fishing by myself a lot, but it's all good. Today I packed a backpack with my waders and stuff, and headed to Waterton. I usually don't fly fish by myself, because I never know what to use, but my dad was at work, and I had a craving. Got to the trail around 1:30, Biked up approximately 6 miles, but I didn't feel like going all the way. Found a bunch of deep holes, but had no idea what to use. Tried a bunch of stuff. I tied on this one thing that looked cool, and a red san juan. One small split shot a foot or two up. Even though I biked a long way, it was in a pool below the Martson Diversion dam that I got my first trout, and it was tiny. A pool lower than that I pulled aout a really pretty one about 13 inches. Both fish did not wanna settle down, but the bigger one flopped the hook out and layed in the ggrassy stuff long enough for a picture. I found out from my dad the unknow fly was a small stonefly larva thing. He seemed surprised I caught one on it. The small one took the stone, the bigger one the san juan. Both fish came about 3 miles into the canyon around 5:00. It was great weather, warm and not windy. Nice to be by myself for a bit and get a couple fish. I took longer to get down than I did riding up, because I was looking for sheep. Didn't see any.

Plenty of open water about 6 miles up.

Tiny trout.

Pretty trout, getting dark, bad pic, about 13 inches.

On the way down...I stayed longer than planned, kept stopping to fish and before I knew it it was dark...

Uneven rack, pretty cool deer.

Great day on the river.

Didnt even put the waders on.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Mustang,

I almost saw you up there I was thinking about hiking up about 4:30PM but with no bike this time it would have gotten dark before getting to marston diversion dam so I passed. I plan on going sometime this week if the weather holds.

Great pics.

TH

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Dude, That last picture is great. Should enter it in some kind of contest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should see it full size, its my desktop background now and i keep staring at it. it really is an amazing picture

thanks

trouthunter, ive been loving on waterton lately, so i may see u, i know what u look like, i usually wear a blue backpack

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Mustang awseome report. Those fish sure are pretty. It's really nice when you first start fly fishing when it all works out and you catch some fish.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I guess I will ask the question. Why were you looking for sheep?

Pondfisher

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pondfisher, I was looking for sheep because Waterton Canyon has a high population of Bighorn Sheep, and I personally think they are cool to watch.

Fish or Die, it is better to bike than hike. To the Stontia Springs Res. dam is about 8 miles. You can use bait for the first four. I biked about 6, but cuaght all my fish lower than that. It's about ten minutes or so to the first place you could fish from the trailhead if you were on foot.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
mustang: saw some sheep on the way home from delaney last weekend when we were coming back through the pourdre canyon. they were actually just laying in a field next to the road, there was about 6 of them layign in a group just chilling out. i've seen them crossing the road before in the canyon usually early in the morning also..you probably could see a bunch when fishing g-town.

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
WoW, Thats beautiful!!!!!
...they look even better through a rifle scope!...bwahaahahahahahahaa...inside joke...I know how the Jayster loves hunting...

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
ALLRIGHT!!  I have so many pics from waterton its not even funny, taken within 1-2 years. Im bored right now and my coors light is telling me to post some pics for you Waterton buffs .. i like ya'lls  animal shots ...... thats what started this reply & I am fiending to go fishing (will be at jefferson this weekend .. woohoo )  ... these pics im posting now are within last 6 months from waterton

...  I went to waterton twice this month and both times went running like hell with no fish photos & no catches, I had one fish hit way down by lot, hit a lure like a dry fly on 1st cast, then disappeared

... I forgot stuff both times & weather changed quick .. ouch ... anyways, would be a very long story ... about 10 miles of biking involved, my toes almost fell off last time .... so use your imagination ... enjoy the pics !!!!

This one is for the Ice Guys !!!

Same spot drained last summer with deer hangin out

nice sunset catch

live it, love it, do it ................ photos courtesy of www.idswindowtint.com

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
great pictures man

·
Registered
764 Posts
i went out to waterton on the 21st. mostly justed hike. went into the marston diversion, stopped and fished a couple of spots along the way. used white and green spinners. no luck. saw 11 sheep though about a mile in. caught one small bow and one small brown on the way back out. white spinner gold blade, below one of those small waterfall things.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts