Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally planned on heading into cheeseman canyon today and hiking all the way to the dam.  I've always done really well in Cheeseman through the winter but the morning got crazy and I ran out of time and didn't have time to go.  However, I did fish waterton and it was great.  I walked in all the way to the pipeline to find some spots l like  frozen while others remained open with ice only on the sides.  I started fishing at about noon and picked up a few in the first hour untill I figured out what the three fly smorgasboard should consist of. When I did, fishing turned from fair to excellent in a matter of minutes. What I finally narrowed it down to was a a small point fly,a smaller trailer, and a really small fly as the third dropper on the tandom.  More specificaly, my point consisted of either, a rainbow warrior or a red crystal midge in size 20. I then followed my point with several of the following which all took some fish; black beauty, jujabee midge, or a Chocolate UV all in size 22.  My third fly, varied between a grey RS2, black and grey bionic midges or a cream colored cdc midge all in size 24.  Right now you couldn't go wrong with any fly I listed, but I think its very important to stay small.  I tried bigger and nothing. As for locations, there were fish in the deeper holes as expected, but what suprised me was to find so many fish in the shallow 1-2 foot deep riffles. I would say the better half of my fish did come from the shallower runs.  I figure the warm weather must be pulling them out of their holes. fished until 4 and landed around twenty fish most averaging from 12-14". That is also a positive sign, I am really starting to catch more fish in the size range I mentioned as opposed to the 8-10" fish  I'm used to catching at Waterton.  all and all, great day to be outside even though it was breezy at times. 

I plan on heading to Cheeseman in a couple days for sure this time, and I'll be sure to post as accurate of a report as possible.  Any questions let me know. 

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
guided on waterton today, got my guy into about 10 fish...more of the same as for presentation/flies/location etc.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I knew I should of headed that way instead of going to Brush Hollow, then Valco Pond, then the Ark. I'm headed to 11 mile tomorrow and Spinney Ranch if I'm not doing well on the lake. But I'm also thinking of heading to Cheeseman later this week if I'm not to tired when I get off work.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Epic...the store manager from Orvis and I are going to hike into cheeseman all the way to the dam on Wednesday. I'm sure we have room for another if you wanna give it a shot. Just let me know.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
TopSlugger4 said:
Epic...the store manager from Orvis and I are going to hike into cheeseman all the way to the dam on Wednesday. I'm sure we have room for another if you wanna give it a shot. Just let me know.
It will be a last minute thing... I dont get off work tell 730 am so it will be depending on how tired I am. Thanks for the offer maybe see you on the water, might have to go thursday to wait for your report. (newbie at the fly fishing thing)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
headin' up cheeseman tomorrow.  Report is well...the same as every where else lots of midges!  Depending on how far up you wanna walk, scuds also start to get bigger and bigger towards the dam...thus lots of big fish as you are probably well aware.  Here's a point fly idea you might wann try though.  Throw a crane-fly larva.  Though they never become adults this time of year, the larva are all around the place. I tie it on a siz 4 leech hook. If I have one on as my point fly, I will strip it back at the end of my swing and sometimes give it strips within the swing.  Just hold on tight! Anyway, I'll be sure to post about the day.  I've been up tying all night to make sure I have the right arsenal of flies. 

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Thanks for the info, I am not going to be able to make it up there tomorrow... I'm shooting for thursday or friday. I have to do some stuff after work.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fished waterton today for about an hour and a half and landed quite a few fish. Some people though, saw two guys with a trash bag full of fish....I'll pretend it was at the limit of 4 a piece, but that bag looked like there were 30 fish in it. Furthermore, based on their water ethics I'm gonna have to say they were well over there limit. So one of the two guys comes clumsily down the hill knocking about every rock into the water and positions himself about 15 yards right above me...so I say, ok I can live with that without making a fuss. Well his buddy comes down the hill in the same manner and sets up directly across from me! What the F$%^!!! Well then he begins to cast his worm right into the run I was fishing, being that I already had a good day and still managed to catch fish with his egg sinkers splashing down in the middle of my hole, I let it go and bit my lip. Still very frustrating and very inconsiderate on their part. This by no means is a fly fisherman vs. baitchucker type of deal...I would have been equally as pissed if he were fly fishing.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey Top Slugger,
I hear ya' about the aggravation that people like that cause, unbelievable! I commonly experienced the same type of behavior from other "fishermen" when I lived out east (where that sort of thing was more common). People who horn in like that are soooooooo clueless and give fishermen a bad name. I guess rednecks are everywhere. Wait a second, I guess I'd consider myself somewhat of a redneck (but not in the manner described above, at all, both respecting and expecting common sense fishing courtesy from others). Okay, Ignorant Rednecks rather, are what upset me as well.
Hey, next time (hopefully there won't be a next time), don't get mad, get even and do us all a favor, at the same time. Be sure to bring your cell phone with you, so as to give those clowns their just rewards with Mr. Game Warden, they deserve it, :).
When fishing the canyon, I commonly use pheasant tails, rs-2's and buckskin caddis and then later, egg patterns (that is, when I commonly fish it, from Spring through Fall).
What seems to work for you this time of year and through the winter? Ah, also, not that there's anything wrong with it, but, I never keep anything from the canyon or rivers/streams in general (always catch and release, take a photo and send em' back off for another day). I do all my "harvesting" on the local and mountain reservoirs. Take care, Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey Topslugger4,
One more thing, if you don't mind. How are conditions up in Cheeseman Canyon since the Hayman fire??? The last few years in the Decker's area, there has been alot of silt and ash (sometimes sinking up to anywhere from ones ankle to half way up the knee and even more near the backs, yuk!)
Does the canyon (which was absolutely gorgeous the last time that I was there, about five years ago) have any of those same problems??? I sure hope not but a report from you would be appreciated. From what I can remember, the fish in the canyon were a bit more few and far between but what they lacked in numbers, they made up for in size. Take care.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts