Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some may have heard but some may have not, just thought id share it.

kinda sucks they are closin it from feb-dec :-[

South Platte River (Waterton Canyon) - Vital Reservoir Work to Close Waterton Canyon. Denver Water will remove massive amounts of Hayman Fire sediment. As a result; a Denver Water contractor will dredge the reservoir to remove at least 625,000 cubic yards of sediment. Waterton Canyon will be closed as follows: Monday, Aug. 2, 2010 until Sunday, Dec. 3, 2010 Monday, Feb. 28, 2011 until Saturday, Dec. 31, 2011. Neither the parking lot at the canyon's entrance nor the canyon will be accessible during the closure. Some contractor activity will precede this date but there will be flaggers to caution the public during July. Access to The Colorado Trail from Waterton Canyon also will be closed during these times. For more information contact www.ColoradoTrail.org


http://wildlife.state.co.us/Fishing/Reports/StatewideConditions/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
GrumpieGills said:
some may have heard but some may have not, just thought id share it.

kinda sucks they are closin it from feb-dec :-[

South Platte River (Waterton Canyon) - Vital Reservoir Work to Close Waterton Canyon. Denver Water will remove massive amounts of Hayman Fire sediment. As a result; a Denver Water contractor will dredge the reservoir to remove at least 625,000 cubic yards of sediment. Waterton Canyon will be closed as follows: Monday, Aug. 2, 2010 until Sunday, Dec. 3, 2010 Monday, Feb. 28, 2011 until Saturday, Dec. 31, 2011. Neither the parking lot at the canyon's entrance nor the canyon will be accessible during the closure. Some contractor activity will precede this date but there will be flaggers to caution the public during July. Access to The Colorado Trail from Waterton Canyon also will be closed during these times. For more information contact www.ColoradoTrail.org


http://wildlife.state.co.us/Fishing/Reports/StatewideConditions/
so will they drain the reservoir?

if they do, I guess chatfield is gonna get a kokanee injection, lol.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that would be tight cause chatfield sucks! i wonder if they are using a vessel and sucking the bottom or draining it ??? but if they drain it, do the project and refill it, it will prob end up turnin into a place like antero. >:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,775 Posts
Ah, yes the Denver Water Board.... need I say more? The only public utility that can actually put a lean on your property for unpaid bills.

Anyhow, I drive through the canyon (Waterton and the parking lot access) 4 times a week and don't see much activity there. I was actually up by Cheesman on Rd 211 a few weeks ago and didn't see much of anything going on. I guess they want to keep thier activity "top secret" least the masses find out what they are actually doing. I don't see how they could possibly truck all that sediment down to a "drop" area as they have proposed... we all know its gonna come down the river... a bunch! Hopefully, those Cheeseman Pike don't flush down the river and pollute the entire system with "hammer handles"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
IFSHDOU2? said:
Ah, yes the Denver Water Board.... need I say more? The only people that can actually put a lean on your property for unpaid bills.

Anyhow, I drive through the canyon (Waterton and the parking lot access) 4 times a week and don't see much activity there. I was actually up by Cheesman on Rd 211 a few weeks ago and didn't see much of anything going on. I guess they want to keep thier activity "top secret" least the masses find out what they are actually doing. I don't see how they could possibly truck all that sediment down to a "drop" area as they have proposed... we all know its gonna come down the river... a bunch! Hopefully, those Cheeseman Pike don't flush down the river and pollute the entire system with "hammer handles"
I think most places can do that too. (putting liens on property).

The catfishing in that inlet will be pretty epic when they do, I bet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,775 Posts
Actually, the Canyon was re-opened to foot traffic last week. AND bicycle traffic, hikers, fisherman, etc. Don't know how long it will remain open, but....

What is the connection between the repairs at Cheeseman res. and Strontia Springs? I have heard they will drain Cheeseman VERY low in order to work on the dam, thus they need to clean out Strontia to allow for some of the water excess to be stored there... Does anyone know? At least this is the story (and very little of it) given to me by the Water Board employees that work at the Waterton Plant.
 

·
P I K E
Joined
·
10,084 Posts
Here is the info from the Denver Water Dept. webpage on the matter.
http://www.denverwater.org/AboutUs/PressRoom/655C6008-E222-D0D3-8CF46806EBE9F647/

While we are on the Denver Water info search... ;)... last year there were questions about all the hoohaw going on up at Gross Reservoir, I'm to lazy today to look for the thread, but here is what is being proposed up there. They want to raise the dam 130' to enlarge the reservoir which would be huge!!! More tigers!!! ::) ;D
http://www.denverwater.org/SupplyPlanning/Planning/FutureWaterSupply/WaterSupplyProjects/Moffat/Video/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
IFSHDOU2? said:
What is the connection between the repairs at Cheeseman res. and Strontia Springs? I have heard they will drain Cheeseman VERY low in order to work on the dam, thus they need to clean out Strontia to allow for some of the water excess to be stored there... Does anyone know? At least this is the story (and very little of it) given to me by the Water Board employees that work at the Waterton Plant.
Like others have said about the Strontia Springs project, they are dredging and removing sediment that's collected related to forest fires.

The work at Cheesman is to repair/replace valves that are over 100 yrs old. Cheesman water level is being kept near full and not drained low. Here's a pic from a couple weeks ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,674 Posts
GtownD said:
IFSHDOU2? said:
What is the connection between the repairs at Cheeseman res. and Strontia Springs? I have heard they will drain Cheeseman VERY low in order to work on the dam, thus they need to clean out Strontia to allow for some of the water excess to be stored there... Does anyone know? At least this is the story (and very little of it) given to me by the Water Board employees that work at the Waterton Plant.
Like others have said about the Strontia Springs project, they are dredging and removing sediment that's collected related to forest fires.

The work at Cheesman is to repair/replace valves that are over 100 yrs old. Cheesman water level is being kept near full and not drained low. Here's a pic from a couple weeks ago.
Ummm....shouldnt there be a big a** barge floating out there for the divers, decompression baracks and living spcaces etc??
Or is that what that thing is?...looks like just a pump house.

Cool picture tho :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
trout4steak said:
Ummm....shouldnt there be a big a** barge floating out there for the divers, decompression baracks and living spcaces etc??
I was thinking the same thing. My guess is that they got time off over the holidays.

I walked up Waterton Canyon today (which is open until Jan 30,2011) for a looksee.

Found 4 or 5 (didn't really count how many) of these generator /pump contraptions along the road, along with black pipe (maybe 2 ft diam.) and the smaller orange pipe (power?) laid the entire 6+ miles of the canyon.




Walking out.... I got this feeling that I was being watched.



Spotted two big horn sheep herds... maybe 10-12 in each group.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,775 Posts
Yeah, I drove by coming home from work and all of a sudden there are some MASSIVE pump looking type apparatus' in one of the parking lots. Looks pretty cool and colorful, I must admit. Oh Yeah, and a bunch of pipe laying around. BIG PIPE. So.... we will see what travesties occurr up there. Looks like tons of money being spent. And most of it because of that goof that wanted to burn a 'love letter" in the Hayman area...... SAD! SAD! so Sad!
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top