Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke up this morning wanting to go to Mitchell Lake in the Indian Peaks, but my brother wasn't up to it. He was kind of under the weather so he suggested Waterton Canyon. I never considered this to be a productive place to fish but heard it had been doing well lately. I sure am glad I went. I rode up just past the Marston Diversion dam and found a riffley stretch. I started with my favorite-a San Juan worm. Within 10 minutes, I landed 3 smallish bows, but they were incredible fighters (I had gone up to a private pond in Silver Plume earlier in the weekend and caught several 20 plus bows-they were not nearly the fighters these guys were). I ended up with 8 trout in the net (and released) and several misses, all on the eventually gnarly looking worm fly. I also saw a couple of groups with their limit of trout (a young family and a couple of youngish chicks-good to see that fisherpeople are not all geezers like us) from the bait-allowed section. I guess the canyon is more productive than I give it credit for. I'll be sure to be back because I get some good exercise riding up there and there is a variety of water to fish--some slow and some very technical. I need all the practice I can get at this fly fishing stuff.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you make the ride up even further, the section right below Strontias Springs (sp?) reservoir is deep and colder in temperature in the summer. Some of the big fish hide out in this section.
Craig

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw some bait fisherman just killing them there. I really didn't know how productive this stretch could be.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I havent been up waterton Canyon this year but for an afternoon caddis hatch u really can't find a better place to find a few takers. In sept it turns to a BWO and a black midge as the hot flies. I just get tired of all the mighty fisherman holding their stringer of 6 inch fish like they really fooled them. You definately found a gem

Fish

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think i'm going to head up to waterton this friday. Can you give me an idea how to fish san juan worms. Do they float or do you use weight to get them down? Please let me know i would love to hit this area friday.

TW

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dead drift them just like a nymph. I don't usually use any weight. I find that commercial San Juans are a little stiff. I would like to tie some with red rubber bands you find at any office supply store. That would give them some great action in a current, or you could work them in still water like a wiggly worm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
silicone boy

That info will help alot am sure. I just have one more question. Do you use a float with the worm or and if not how do you see the strike?

Thank You

TW

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
while i continue to use an indicator with a worm, I'm thinking about stopping because it's a transition to a "bobberless" dead drift. Besides, I find that the fish hit so hard that I don't need an indicator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts