Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the Springs but am heading north today. I am hoping that somebody could tell me wheter waterton canyon is blown out from recent rain and snow...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
haven't fished it lately (as I am in tennesse) but for whatever reason waterton never seems to get real dirty after a rain or snowstorm. Those fish are so dang stupid, just through something bigger and brighter then usual and they will smack it

·
Registered
797 Posts
I drove by it today and it looked pretty clear, and I agree with PD4 I fished it last year and it was like choloate milk but fish were still hitting dries

·
Registered
179 Posts
I also drove by today and was suprised how good it looked.  Hey PD4 - as the resident expert on waterton, is it worth going up to the restricted water for a flyfishing novice or should I stay below the diversion.  I'm not as concerned about size as i am about the eagerness (stupity) of the fish. Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
frey-head up about a mile and a half to the pipeline and start looking for "fishy water." From my experiences, once you reach that pipeline fishing improves. If you want to go up to the restricted section by all means go for it, but you can catch just as many fish slightly below it. There is one spot however about 3 and a half miles up in the restricted section that is almost always worth atleast 10 fish. I'm not trying to keep a secret from you as to location, but I just don't know how I could describe where that spot is.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I headed up yesterday and the water was nice and clear. Caught several fish 12-14 inch range (caddis dry trailing a pt). After about 5 o'clock the fish were jumping straight out of the water. What a beautiful place to fish.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Daedalus, were you catching them on the dry or the dropper?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I from just below the dam and worked my way down. I actually only caught rainbows, usually in tailouts. I had most hookups on a #20 pt, but lost quite a few of them. toward the evening they started smacking the caddis around as well, but i don't think that they were ever really onto the adult caddis. seemed to be after emergers and possibly some midge hatch too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks, Diablo, I'll try to put the advice to good use.

Tony

1 - 10 of 10 Posts