Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks to snagged up for the inspiration!

Contest Rules

1) Public waters only

2) Pix must have your fish and a can of WD40 visible, no photoshopping

3) Biggest fish of any species wins

Here's the prize:

(3) "Rattlin'" jerkbaits

(1) pack of Featherlite 2.5/0 bass hooks

(1) pack of Eagle Claw size "1" down eye baitholder hooks

(1) box of 50ish treble hooks

AND THIS AWESOME CERTIFICATE OF AWARD!!!!!

No need to tell where you caught the fish, a pic will suffice. Post all entries to this thread by Monday, May 5, 2014 for prize consideration. Include your bait/lure used, amount of WD40 slathered on said baits, length and weight of the fish.

Go forth and WD-40 it up, bitches.

· Registered
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
GR, you have til May 5th to submit your fish pix. Get goin!!!

*And yea... I'll use whatever I can get my hands on to catch fish (assuming it's legal). Ethics tell me not to fish spawning bass and such, but even the real D-Bag elitist Boulderite fly guys with G Loomis toilet paper and Orvis seat covers in their hybrids have been known to use scented floatant. ;)

Anyway, this is the contest thread. Merit discussions should take place on snagged up's WD40 thread.

Tight (and lubricated) lines, everyone.

· Registered
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Some artificial waters don't allow fish attractant or scented baits...

Is that only Gold Medal waters? I don't know exactly. . But for the vast majority of Co waters, WD40 is all gravy. Bought my new fresh can just 20 minutes ago. Hopefully get a night session in tonight if the weather holds off.

· Registered
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Not eligible for prizes, obviously, but.....

18 inches, a hair over 3.5 pounds

small bit of nightcrawler with two short spritzes of the ol' petroleum distillate.

First cast. I was at the pond just long enough to make one cast, wait 3-4 minutes, reel this baby in, and head back to the house to catch the overtime of the Avs game.

· Registered
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I got out last night and did a proof of concept. If nobody wants to participate, no skin off my nose. :)

I showed the method works for sure... First fish out of that pond all year, and not for lack of trying, let me tell you. But hey, if nobody has confidence they can beat a dinky 18" carp, I totally get it. :lol:

· Registered
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Cool. The point of this contest is to either confirm or rebuff the claim that WD40 is an effective fish attractant. The contest is not about whether fish attractants work, or even trying to show that non-traditional fish attractants work. Its about a decades-old myth/belief/debate about the effective use of WD40 (specifically) as a way to catch fish/more fish.

Chuck, if you wanna use those items to catch fish (or do anything else with them) that's totally cool. Unfortunately, fish caught using those anal lubricants will not be considered for this contest. ;)

· Registered
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
JW, man didn't you hear? As soon as that lure hits the water, you'll have state record fish fighting each other for that ****!!

The only reason the carp I caught was only 18 inches was that that was the biggest fish in the pond. ;)

· Registered
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Oh ****... redleader's in.

We might as well all hang it up. ;) PM me your address so I can go ahead and send you the winning prizes. LOL :lol:

· Registered
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
Honor system. And it'll have to be one big bass to compete with RL on the case... Plus I'm heading to Sloans Lake for the carp monsters this week. You ever seen a 15 pound bass in CO? ;)

Besides, if you're gonna go to the trouble of carrying a can of wd40 with you fishing, you're gonna use it... Out of sheer curiosity. ;)

· Registered
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
All due respect Pete, but for someone who isn't interested in this contest, you've got about as many replies here as anyone... 9 now.

You sure you don't want to join in the fun?? ;)

· Registered
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
You can spray your Panther Martins or X Raps or suspending jerk baits the same as a worm. Even spray down a copper john!!! What do ya say??? Join us!!!

· Registered
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
You take a length and a girth and use a fish calculator, that's fine!!!

And if you're talking about a specific lure, "jerkbait" or "grub" will work fine. No need to be super specific

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.