Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 108 Posts

· Registered
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Some artificial waters don't allow fish attractant or scented baits...

Is that only Gold Medal waters? I don't know exactly. . But for the vast majority of Co waters, WD40 is all gravy. Bought my new fresh can just 20 minutes ago. Hopefully get a night session in tonight if the weather holds off.

· Registered
3,592 Posts
Pretty sure it's illegal to purposely add an oil based product into our water supplies, but may be a gray area. I spray it on my lures in Saltwater when I forget to rinse them in fresh water and keep the engines and parts soaked in it. It used to be made with fish oil.

· Registered
4,885 Posts
Some history.

WD–40 began as a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. Three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company created WD-40 back in 1953. The name comes from the project that was to find a “water displacement” (WD) compound. They were successful with their fortieth (40) formulation.

· Registered
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Not eligible for prizes, obviously, but.....

18 inches, a hair over 3.5 pounds

small bit of nightcrawler with two short spritzes of the ol' petroleum distillate.

First cast. I was at the pond just long enough to make one cast, wait 3-4 minutes, reel this baby in, and head back to the house to catch the overtime of the Avs game.

· Registered
3,897 Posts
Pretty sure it's illegal to purposely add an oil based product into our water supplies, but may be a gray area. I spray it on my lures in Saltwater when I forget to rinse them in fresh water and keep the engines and parts soaked in it. It used to be made with fish oil.

Is it not made with fish oil these days?

· Registered
883 Posts
Then motor boats should be illegal!

· Registered
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I got out last night and did a proof of concept. If nobody wants to participate, no skin off my nose. :)

I showed the method works for sure... First fish out of that pond all year, and not for lack of trying, let me tell you. But hey, if nobody has confidence they can beat a dinky 18" carp, I totally get it. :lol:

· Registered
4,885 Posts
Yes, he's having fun, and we're having our fun. Nothing serious going on here.

Although I do have to wonder if fish eating WD-40 is good for them?

· Registered
4,885 Posts
Yes, but my thought is if you're releasing the fish.

A hole in the lip is better than swallowing poison.

· Registered
5,986 Posts
Owen, would it be ok if I used a water-based lubricant/fish attractant? I have strong opinions about effective scent dispersal.

So....I could use Megastrike, Astroglide, or Anal-ese, if any of those would qualify.

21 - 40 of 108 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.