Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using wd40 as a fish attractant lately and it seems to have a positive effect. I was wondering if anyone else uses or has used this wonderful liquid as a fish attractant?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Not that I am always the best to the enviornment but is that good to be putting in our waters?

M

·
0 Posts
jipa73 said:
Not that I am always the best to the environment but is that good to be putting in our waters?
I've heard of WD-40 being used as an attractant and I know people that swear by it (guides in the Pacific Northwest recommend it regularly). I've never tried it (I'm really not that into spray on attractants).

jipa - without starting a debate (which I'm sure will ensue from others pitching in) we put worse stuff into the water at higher quantities/concentrations every time we launch a boat so I doubt it makes much difference. (i.e. de-icer from the roads, grease on the bearing buddies, etc., etc.)

Here's a link to the material data safety sheet for aerosol cans of WD-40
http://www.wd40.com/Brands/pdfs/msds-wd40_aerosol.us.pdf
The ingredients are not public domain (still a secret) but rumors have it that it is made from a dirivative of fish oil. It is a petroleum distillate (no different from Smelly Jelly or any other attractant that sticks to your lure). It is not a cancer causing agent.

You'll do more harm to the environment by leaving your car idle at the launch ramp.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
This question has come up to me before, and we all came up to the same conclusion.  It is a fish attractant, has been known for a long time.  My grandfather actually brought it up to me for the first time years ago.  But the question is, with all of the other liquid fish attractants that are out there, and with those being safe to the environment, why would you use a pollutant as a fish attractant?  Sure its only a small amount every now and again, but with as many fisherman as we have in the state / nation, there is a lot of "little amounts" hitting the water.  And yes, we may put "worse" things in the water, but that's no excuse to add to our own negligance by adding to our list of pollutants.

IMO no good at all.  Im sure the masses would agree.  Try to switch to an attractant that is safe to the environment, and leave the WD40 in the garage.  I happen to know for a fact that the fish will bite without it.   ;)

·
Registered
833 Posts
Eagle Claw Nitro Gravy is what I use and it works!
You can also lube the kids squeeky bikes with it and you will always know where they are especially if you are down wind!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I found a material safety data sheet.  It says this below so I would have to say that yes it is a pollutant.

"In the unlikely event of spillages from aerosol cans, place cans in bags or open pail until pressure has dissipated. Aerosol cans must not be punctured or incinerated but disposed of in land fill or in accordance with local regulations. Do not wash WD-40 contamination into drains and waterways. Instead wipe affected areas with white spirit or turpentine substitute and allow to dry. When dry wash affected areas with soapy water to remove any remnants of WD-40. If white spirit cannot be applied, layer with sawdust or absorbent material. Allow to dry and then sweep/shovel into refuse bins and dispose of via public or private waste disposal."

The link to the date sheet is:

http://www.dek.com/data/wd-40.pdf

It also says it is harmful if swallowed, or in your eyes and yadda yadda yadda.  The info is there if you would like to see.

M

·
0 Posts
FF - I think you need to consider the source... "DEK is the world's leading provider of equipment and processes for high accuracy mass imaging of electronic materials" Their MSDS relates to their procedures.

If you read the link I provided (from WD40) it is safe to dispose of in a landfill and if it's swallowed, it'll give you a bad case of the runs and may cause you to vomit. No different than cooking oil.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Mr Ed, you are correct.  I had not considerred the source.  But to say it is the same as cooking oil?  I wouldn't cook my eggs in it.

Everyone to thier own, but there are too many options out there to take the chance of dropping "garage cooking oil" into my favorite waters.  But I also won't throw rocks at the guy next to me if I see him using it, deal?  ;D

M

·
0 Posts
My point is simply using WD-40 on a lure or bait is not going to kill a fishery and isn't going to do much (aside from maybe attracting fish or masking a human scent). Sometimes you have to pick and choose your battles. WD-40 is as far down the list (or farther) than lead weights. I'd prefer to focus on items like MTBE or even birth control pills as being a higher priority or even worth a lot more attention (speaking of eggs)

http://www.ourstolenfuture.org/press/2003/2003-0627-KR-estrogenizedfish.htm
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/124939_estrogen04.html
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/06/030605083154.htm

I say if C.W. wants to use WD-40 then go for it!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I am drinking some right now and IIIIII feeel fiiiiiiiiiine

oifhcjkbchluwifbndjhvbilwujhvbk,b
Where am I?
Who am I?

Does anyone have poison control's number? ;D

·
P I K E
10,160 Posts
      I do agree with Mr. Ed.  Figure how much oil comes from a boat motor being dispersed in the water, also most scents have some kind of an oil base in it  to adhere to the bait. I once heard that WD-40 has a shark oil base which is one of the best moisture preventers, Prep-H ointment also has shark oil in it and thats why it is used for an attractant.
    But I must go along with FF also, there are a ton of other scents out on the market that are made directly for the purpose. I generally like to use the Crawdad Nitro gravy,squirt it into my tube jigs and it works great, pike love it,  just don't get any on your hands or boat....LOL....hard to get the smell out plus the wife will think twice about sleepin with ya for a couple days. I always carry rubber gloves now. ;D

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
TthePikester said:
Prep-H ointment also has shark oil in it and thats why it is used for an attractant.
I can't stand it.....

Who will it attract? Should I put it behind my ears, or what?

·
Registered
288 Posts
so lemme get this straight. All that wd-40 that I've been spraying on my lawn mower would have been better put to use on my fishing tackle. What do ya know! Screw the lawn, I'm going fishing!! :D
Preparation H too? I wonder if smearing it on your tube jigs makes them tighten up into Mr. Twisters?
Be sure to read the Prep H tube and heed the warning: DO NOT EAT. unless you really like to whistle and drink food thru a straw! :eek: Besides, how is the clerk at the grocery store going to look at you when you show up with a can of wd-40, a tube of prep H, beer, cigarrettes, and worms? :p

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Remember, you only really need two tools: WD-40 and duct tape.

If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.

If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.

M

·
0 Posts
Ken Broeren said:
Kitchenmonkey said:
how is the clerk at the grocery store going to look at you when you show up with a can of wd-40, a tube of prep H, beer, cigarrettes, and worms? :p
It will be especially interesting if you introduce yourself first as KitchenMonkey. :)
I've heard KY Jelly is good for helping you put a jig head into a tube jig. You may want to add that to your grocery list.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Mr. Ed said:
I've heard KY Jelly is good for helping you put a jig head into a tube jig. You may want to add that to your grocery list.
In the interest of domestic tranquility, explain to your wife why you want some, and then have her pick it up at the store for you.

If you get it yourself and say nothing, no explanation will ever be good enough when she finds it in your tackle box.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Walking Eagle is always full of good tips.
Here is another one. My grandfather left for a weekend of "fishing" and when he returned, he complained to my grandmother "why didnt you pack my underwear?. She then explained to him that she had packed them in his tackle box. OOOOPS!!!
Moral of the story. Always check your tackle box!!

what other kinds of personal hygiene/garage chemicals are good for fishing?

·
P I K E
10,160 Posts
    OOOOOOHHH!!!!! To funny guys. I can see it now. You're sitting on the shore fishing when a ranger walks up and asks for your licence, as you stand up a tube of KY falls out of one pocket and a rubber glove out of another. Do you?
  1) Grin and wink at him hoping he gets so flustered he forgets whats he's doing and leaves.
   2) Hand him the licence from a full arms length away and hope all you get is " good day carry on".    :eek:

I once used peppermint schnapps on my salmon eggs and caught more fish in that one day than I ever had before, since I no longer drink can't do that anymore!!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts