Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,458 Posts
This question has come up to me before, and we all came up to the same conclusion.  It is a fish attractant, has been known for a long time.  My grandfather actually brought it up to me for the first time years ago.  But the question is, with all of the other liquid fish attractants that are out there, and with those being safe to the environment, why would you use a pollutant as a fish attractant?  Sure its only a small amount every now and again, but with as many fisherman as we have in the state / nation, there is a lot of "little amounts" hitting the water.  And yes, we may put "worse" things in the water, but that's no excuse to add to our own negligance by adding to our list of pollutants.

IMO no good at all.  Im sure the masses would agree.  Try to switch to an attractant that is safe to the environment, and leave the WD40 in the garage.  I happen to know for a fact that the fish will bite without it.   ;)

· Registered
1,458 Posts
I found a material safety data sheet.  It says this below so I would have to say that yes it is a pollutant.

"In the unlikely event of spillages from aerosol cans, place cans in bags or open pail until pressure has dissipated. Aerosol cans must not be punctured or incinerated but disposed of in land fill or in accordance with local regulations. Do not wash WD-40 contamination into drains and waterways. Instead wipe affected areas with white spirit or turpentine substitute and allow to dry. When dry wash affected areas with soapy water to remove any remnants of WD-40. If white spirit cannot be applied, layer with sawdust or absorbent material. Allow to dry and then sweep/shovel into refuse bins and dispose of via public or private waste disposal."

The link to the date sheet is:

http://www.dek.com/data/wd-40.pdf

It also says it is harmful if swallowed, or in your eyes and yadda yadda yadda.  The info is there if you would like to see.

· Registered
1,458 Posts
Mr Ed, you are correct.  I had not considerred the source.  But to say it is the same as cooking oil?  I wouldn't cook my eggs in it.

Everyone to thier own, but there are too many options out there to take the chance of dropping "garage cooking oil" into my favorite waters.  But I also won't throw rocks at the guy next to me if I see him using it, deal?  ;D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.