Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be sure to wear your cleats on the ice. I didn't today, and took a tumble. I have a knot the size of a golf ball, but the doc said I'll be fine. I've heard of a few that weren't so lucky over the past few years including death. No clue why I didn't learn from their example. Learn from mine.

Rob

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Slimer said:
Be sure to wear your cleats on the ice. I didn't today, and took a tumble. I have a knot the size of a golf ball, but the doc said I'll be fine. I've heard of a few that weren't so lucky over the past few years including death. No clue why I didn't learn from their example. Learn from mine.

Rob
Did you hit your dome?

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, fell straight onto my head. knot where my yamika would go if I were jewish. No bald spot there yet, so I did have some hair to cushion it a little.

A dude died at red feather a few years ago with a similar fall. Going out today to buy another pair of cleats, 1 extra, just in case.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
human cannonball said:
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
I'm glad you're okay, Rob. That can be scary stuff.
X2! You gotta watch them brain cells...y'ain't got too many to spare, man.
Thanks guys, yeah was pretty scary. Went to the hospital just to ensure that it wasn't anything major. If it was major, like a 1/5 chance I'd die if not treated right away, so wasn't having those odds.

BTW, I'm icing tomorrow, but will have my cleats with me. haha

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hitting your head on the ice is definitely worse than stepping in an old hole and going all the way in to your crotch DOH!!!

I've never banged my head, but have stepped in a few holes.

Good advice Rob. Glad you're going to live.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Best to be checked out. Wasn't it Liam Nelson's wife who had a slight bump from a ski fall, then later died, due to a hematoma on the brain?

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Glad you're doing okay Rob!

Lunker said:
...Wasn't it Liam Nelson's wife who had a slight bump from a ski fall, then later died, due to a hematoma on the brain?
Liam Neeson's wife, Natasha Richardson. (Vanessa Redgrave's daughter)

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alpinefisher said:
Glad you're doing okay Rob!

Lunker said:
...Wasn't it Liam Nelson's wife who had a slight bump from a ski fall, then later died, due to a hematoma on the brain?
Liam Neeson's wife, Natasha Richardson. (Vanessa Redgrave's daughter)
Yep, similar thing with Gary Coleman. Just had to be safe, and it didn't cost me a penny since I have some kickass insurance!!!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Happened to my neighbor about 7 yrs ago But he was shoveling his driveway. Passed away 5 days later from the "bump". BE CAREFUL ON ANY ICE. PK

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I'm so much of a klutz that I wear my cleats every time I'm out on the ice. Despite having been pooh-poohed by hubby in the past, after he fell flat on his arse at Georgetown last year through 5" of snow onto zamboni-fresh ice, well, even he kinda shuffled-crawled back to the car to get his cleats.

Better to spend the time and look silly than fall and break something! Cheaper, too.

·
Registered
699 Posts
you want to see what happenes after a bad fall do a search for the fall i took dec 8 2008 and what the docs did to me after my fall beleive me you need the best cleats you can get and dont dare use toe cleats from ht only use cleats that cover the whole foot

there are several guys here that witnessed my fall and i was lucky considering i fished the whole day then went to the hospital

here is the read on that fall http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=38600.30

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Grr... hubby just got back from Jefferson - black ice up there, no snow, and guess what, he *forgot his cleats*. He avoided a concussion just barely from tucking and rolling as he fell - but his neck is killing him now. I even bugged him about them this morning as he was leaving...

Well, at least he's for the most part still in one piece. Head injuries are not funny. Not to mention how stupid you feel after falling and knocking yourself on the head... :p

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks AZBasser. I remember the fall, Clint even described it to me later on, and still failed to wear mine each time out.

Sucks the hubby forgot his, but glad he was okay. I'm feeling the effects of migraine like headaches, but no vomiting, no memory loss, just being constantly tired and the tension. But muscle relaxers are helping that a ton. Red up a lot and expect to be back at 100% by weeks end.

Rob

1 - 20 of 25 Posts