Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so my reading here and elsewhere tells me that I should be fishing in the few weeks before ice-on and that right before a weather front is a good idea...I may finally have ONE evening to fish. it looks like snow tuesday night into wed, how far in front of any weather would you get excited about fishing? I'm trying to decide whether tues evening before this arctic front will be worthwhile....

·
Registered
936 Posts
Right up until the weather truly hits. Tuesday sounds like a great idea. You can actually use barometric pressure forecaster to figure it out. Wunderground forecasts the pressure.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you want to fish, do so and dress for the weather. you fish when you have the time. you cant catch any fish if you aren't there.
I agree completely. being self employed I have the one luxury of floating my day this week. I get one day, but I can choose which one. trying to learn how to make wise choices....and if I'm gonna freeze my giblets I really want to make sure I've chosen well.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I plan to be fishing tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so help me understand this further, please. looking at weather underground the pressure is basically climbing now. looks like today we are to notice a perceptible drop in temps. Tomorrow the pressure takes a dip in the evening. my understanding is that either up or down would trigger fish activity. the climb today is more substantial than the drop tomorrow. add snow coming in tomorrow too.....choosing only one, which one? why?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
ok so help me understand this further, please. looking at weather underground the pressure is basically climbing now. looks like today we are to notice a perceptible drop in temps. Tomorrow the pressure takes a dip in the evening. my understanding is that either up or down would trigger fish activity. the climb today is more substantial than the drop tomorrow. add snow coming in tomorrow too.....choosing only one, which one? why?
I personally don't focus on the barometer. I think weather is more important. A good in-fisherman article: http://www.in-fisherman.com/bass/barometric-pressure-and-bass/

I'd fish today too. I usually do better when it's windy for walleyes.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd fish today too. I usually do better when it's windy for walleyes.
thanks for the info and link! are you metro denver? Unfortunately I don't get two days, barely squeaking one. I think tomorrow I'll see if I can make my new chatfield topo map work in my favor and identify somewhere with a real chance of catching.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
thanks for the info and link! are you metro denver? Unfortunately I don't get two days, barely squeaking one. I think tomorrow I'll see if I can make my new chatfield topo map work in my favor and identify somewhere with a real chance of catching.
I am in the Denver metro area. Between today and tomorrow, I would pick tomorrow for walleyes because of the snow tomorrow. The harshest the conditions, the fewer the number of people on the water. :biggrin1: And there might be a little more to it too. ;) I may fish tonight for a bit too. Pick the days that look like they may be more favorable and go fish. Don't over think it. Weather doesn't have the same effect on all fish anyway.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I'm going to hit chatty tomorrow somewhere in the 2pm to 6/7/whenever I'm too cold to move range.

you all are a great source of info, I really really appreciate the education.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good god, what have I signed myself up for. if anyone is by chatty today I'll be the one who has lit himself on fire to stay warm.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ha, don't forget about the fire ban! You might have to rely on fire water instead.
damnit....I did forget about that.

couple months ago I was going to try the chatty ponds and no sooner had I walked all the way around to the far side than 4 rangers came screaming into the lot racing around like they were in the lead for a rally race. a few minutes after that the trucks and more police showed up, people running. I got to cast all of twice before smoke started pouring over the tree tops headed right for my brand new truck. all is well that ends well except that one ended with no fish.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
That's just plain stupid, AO! In my humble opinion, of course!;D
I said "plan to." I might not feel like it when I step out of the office later today... :D I would have most certainly gone a few years back, but I'm getting old, as Duck would say. :p

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
AO, if you go out there tonight and catch a 10 lber, I will wheel the barrow what cradles your mountainous cojones!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts