Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G9BQCwoTbA&feature=youtu.be

On Friday, July 26th me, my girlfriend, and two buddies headed west around 3pm for our high mountain adventure. Our target was a couple of lakes in San Isabel National Forest. I was able to take my stock 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee up a 4X4 road over a mile to help trim our hike down.

On the way to our trailhead we went through the ghost town, explored a Mine which was abandoned in the early 1900's, saw a grave site of someone buried in the late 1880's, and made it to our destination right around sunset.

We found some decently flat area's to set up tents and a ring for a campfire near the lower lake so we set up camp and started a fire. Being above treeline makes it a little more difficult to find fire wood but we were able to find enough for fires both nights.

We all slept well that first night after working during the day, couple hour drive, and a couple mile steep hike with HEAVY packs. We woke up in the morning to a gorgeous view of mountains, sun shining over the peaks, and a beautiful mountain lake a stones throw away.

I grabbed my fly rod, spinning rod, & net and headed down to the lake to try and fool some Cutthroats! I caught two that first morning and admired the different patterns of these trout and how some were so red on their gill plates. Amazing to see how vibrant the "cuts" on their throats are too! All of our fish were caught on metal, mostly kastys (silver and gold). The big one came off a new Yozuri Snap Bean I just purchased. Tried the fly rod with dries and streamers but couldn't fool any - I'm a novice with the long rod though (I am putting together a video from the weekend and all the fishing pics and clips will be in that - sorry, I'll add that as soon as I'm finished!).

After lunch on Saturday, me and the guys decided to try and summit a nearby mountain (13'er). The trail wasn't too obvious but we had the energy and the time, it was beautiful out. Hardly any clouds in the blue sky, the sun was shining, and the wind was low. It took about 2.5 hours round trip but we got to the top and got to see what was on the other side of this range!

We descended the mountain and made it back to the campsite. We had worked up a good appetite by that point and did some more eating once we got back to camp. After that we killed some more time by the lake and fooled a few more Cutts into biting. Kerri caught the biggest one of the trip at 14-15" (and also the smallest at about 4" haha). Shortly after that the winds picked up, the clouds rolled in, and the temps dropped.

Along with this quick weather change came some rain. We all were a little fatigued so we retreated to our tents and waited for it to blow over. Around 6pm we had some warm food for dinner around the campfire and just sat around talking and laughing until another storm cell moved in. This one decided to stay around ALL night and into the morning. We woke around 6:30am and the storm was letting up, the temp had dropped to 40 degrees, and everything was wet so we all packed up and began our hike back to the Jeep when the storm picked up again!

We were all pretty wet and cold and the storm didn't show any signs of letting up so we decided to bail on our plan to try and summit a nearby 14'er and just head back home. It was an awesome trip and experience camping above treeline and fishing high mountain lakes, I plan to do more of that very soon! I will upload the video once it's done as well!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Sounds like GOOD TIMES to me.
Great pics. Really like the sunset(?) pic.
One question....What is the arm looking thing in the fourth pic from the left on the bottom???

Looks like a wacky wavy arm thing...:confused:
:)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nice. What program do you use to edit the GP videos? I have a ton of video from Turks and Caicos and just cannot get into an easy editing tool.
I use Sony Vegas 11, which is by no means an easy editing tool. It's very robust and technical, my copy didn't come with a manual or anything so I've just figured it out as I go. That's half the fun for me - learning something new each video I edit. But I know what you mean, where it'd be nice to just have a quick editing tool - I'm sure someone can chime in on a quick, easy, and free editing program for you!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I'm also looking for something simple and free. I think I'll try Ezvid. Seems to have good reviews and it's free.

Here's a gopro vid made with Ezvid...and there are a lot of tutorials on the net..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts