Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted my report from Wednesday at Chatfield,but I fished Thursday and Friday in the spillway below Chatfield. On my trip to the tackle store Thursday morning this  guy was talking about fishing the spillway below the dam. I though I would give it a try. Score Thursday 5 walleye in 2 hours 7-9pm. Many others were fishing there throwing stickbaits and various other crankbaits. They were catching fish also. Same results Friday. The nice thing about fishing below the dam is that if you catch a 15" walleye it can go on the stringer! So if you want to catch some walleye from the bank try below the dam at Chatfield.

Today I took the family to Six Flags for a day of fun. We got home around 6 pm and I wanted to wet a line so I tried a place close to home. Being the second week of May the  Largemouth Bass in the shallow ponds near my home have started to spawn. I will call these ponds X1 and X2. Last year I pulled a 7lb female LMB from pond X1. After work I had many 20 fish nights. Tonight I caught 5 in an hour all released the largest being 3 lbs. I am not going to post any pictures because it might give away the location. I will just say it is not Ward Rd Ponds. Many of the small ponds have good bass populations and warms up faster These ponds could not support alot of pressure so I am reluctant to give out info. Explore the areas near your work or home and you will find that they might hold fish.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Great going! I usually find new places all the time through research and word of mouth. If I end up on one of your ponds, well.... Sorry.

Don't worry. I don't keep largemouths nor do I keep smallies.

M

·
0 Posts
lemme make sure, when u talk about the chatfield spillway u r talking about the water that begina the south platte below the dam, correct? where there is sometimes water being released? what would u reccomend for the eyes there?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes that is the location. Try a rapala glass minnow or jointed rapala in light colors. Goodluck! Go around 5:00pm and fish to just after dark. Fish the let or right side 100yds below the spillway. You wont be alone.. Cast across the river and reel with a wind and twitch action with some pauses many times they will hit right at your feet.

·
Registered
862 Posts
i have fished ward road pond 4 times this yr and been skunked all 4 times.....ive tried a fe other lakes .....rocky mountain lake and berkely.....just for some after work fishin havent caught nothin at any of em....sure wish i knew of some nice little after work spots........ ;)

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
How fast is the water moving in the outlet at chatfield?  is it possible to to fish one line on or near the bottom and be casting with the other? I see most people say they have fished it in the evening, anyone try the morning say around 6 a 8a?

I am thinking of giving it a go first thing Monday before, I have to take the dog to the vet.

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Go like you are heading to the north boat ramp (by the dam) instead of turning into the boat ramp area go up and over the dam. Just on the other side of the dam is the outlet.

Dan

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
im thinking about the evening tommorow if u go in the evening let me know ill go for sure if u go. Never fished there at the outlet.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The water is moving very fast. If you fish behind the 2 wings of the spillway there is slack water, but if is a rocky bottom. I saw and did better 100yrds below the spillway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts