Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2,597 Posts
Some good advice. A few more thoughts. You can use your large outboard rather than the kicker if you deploy a drift sock. Easy to use and great for speed control. Also if you decide to drift fish...a sock can be your best friend in the wind.

Trolling with the wind allows for better boat control and lure presentation. Oftentimes it's better to troll with the wind and then fire up the gas motor, head back to where you started, and repeat rather than trolling back to where you started against the wind. It's well worth reeling in and motoring back, before starting your track again.

In clear water..troll into the sun. Walleye will position themselves with their tails to the sun and see your presentation coming towards them rather than it coming up from behind.

This time of the year when the water is still cold but surface temps warm throughout the day. If trolling, start out fishing the bottom in the morning and work your way up the water column as the day heats up. Walleye will move up and suspend in the warmer surface water. Especially if there is some chop diffusing the light.

Don't troll a straight line until you have your speed dialed in. Watch and remember which rods get bit. If it's the inside rod on an s turn...you might want to slow down..outside rod conversely speed up. If you can dial in the speed they want, you can then troll both rods in a straight line. And if possible, always run one rod just behind your prop wash on a short line. Fish love the prop wash.

Biggest mistake I see with trollers is catching a fish and then continuing on their merry way. Walleyes run in schools. Where there is one...there are always more. Either stop and jig for those fish ...or learn to troll in a tight circle. Very easy to do with a bottom bouncer or a jig. Just use fewer rods and stay on top of the fish.

Finally...if using crawlers on a harness...make sure they run straight and true.
Great advice!

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Some good advice in this thread. :thumb:
Beyond my wildest expectations! Thanks to everyone who contributed and left comments!

The DW (Extra Rod Stamp) has been in Rehab after a huge back surgery. I decided on an evening project. I wanted to organize the tackle that was scattered in a buttload of old tackle boxes. Bit the bullet and bought a stack of 3700 boxes and dumped everything out on the kitchen table, then put it back in a slightly more accessible fashion.

You guys are a terrible influence. . .

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.