Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of the weirdest things you ever caught while fishing? and the most valuable?
Mine are boring. The wierdest thing i pulled in is a nice fat duck. Still ate it.  ???
The most valuable would have to be a bell. A heavy old bell. Looked to be brass when cleaned up. My Grandma eventually sold it to a antique collector who collected stuff from the steamships for $20. The collector said it was from an lesser known steamship that did overnight trips. After she had paid for it, she told us that it was worth somehwere around $100.  :mad: Not bad for a day of fsihing  :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hehe my weirdest thing I have ever caught was a golf ball i fish on a golf course lake sometimes and i guess the water softened it up, i happened to hook it. It was really weird.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The most unusual thing I can think of happened back in the 70's. I had hiked up to a high mountain lake and was fishing when I saw something unusual on the bottom. I put on a spoon and cast until I hooked it. (Does intentional snagging count?) It turned out to be a bank bag. It was leather, had draw strings and a brass bead, but I don't remember the name of the bank that was printed on it anymore. I think I sold it at a garage sale years ago. Anyway, I thought it was kind of interesting.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I've caught a tennis shoe, a fishing bag, a hat, plenty of walmart bags, my own baseball cap (intentinal snagging), and a old deflated beach ball.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have done some intentional snagging myself. for fsihing pole (which i did find with the fish still attached :D) and for car keys. a tip of advice-dont use 4 pounds weights with 8 pound line and fish the bottom

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
my kid caught a set of wheels for a tonka type truck. Acted just like a fish!

I have a picture of it posted under a Union reservoir from way back.........

Dan

·
Registered
32 Posts
I caught a chainsaw once. I grew up in eastern Kansas and we had a small creek that ran through our land. In one place a conty road passed over it via a bridge. It used to be great catfishing under that bridge. I went out there one tim with some dough bait and a treble hook and must have snagged it as I was reeling in.

I just figured someone was driving down the road and just pitched it over into the creek.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
A fishing rod, old and rusty, so I let it go. Like many people I caught a couple sea gulls, one picked up the baitfish(pike fishing) that floated after a cast, the other flew into my line on a cast.

The one I wish we had caught - we were anchored in Cat Harbor - Catalina CA, (50' sailboat), when bringing up the anchor we found a 9.9 Mercury was on the hook (it looked new). Just as it cleared the water where we could have touched it, it wobbled and fell back in to 50-60 feet of water.

Terre

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I caught a fancy oar one day on the colorado river. The most amazing thing caught, was the 10 dollar bill landed by iceintheveins on a daredevil. Same day too.
Also when I was 12 and icefishing vega, catching a bunch of small trout, I hooked into something big. It took me 15 minutes to land it but it was a 20 pound or so metal thing with a 40 foot rope attached.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Up on the Mesa this last weekend I actually caught a bird. He came in to my line and got all tangled up. The best part is that he was very cool on letting me untangle him, did not peck one time. The bird flew off just fine....Pope

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Havent caught anything weird...but Lake Estes does provide convenience...I caught a rainbow trout that was already on a stringer...hooked him in the mouth too...he seemed healthy and unfazed by carrying around a 6 foot nylon rope stringer...

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I caught a rainbow on the Miracle Mile one time that had no lower jaw...it must have just swam around hoping food would drift into its mouth. it looked fat though, so apparently it adapted to its condition well...after all, it ate my fly. i dont know how i managed to hook it though...

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've hooked several bats while flyfishing needless to say they aren't alot of fun to take off. Also lost a trolling motor at chatfield once so if any of you hooked a trolling motor it's probably mine..... ;D

·
Registered
265 Posts
I caught a blackbird on a plastic worm, and a tern on a live shrimp! Pulled in quite a few clams.... Several fishing poles including my Dad's musky rod with 6500 reel on it.... He threw the whole thing into the water when he forgot to push the button before casting! I also caught a bike and a metal lawn chair... I netted a squirrel that tried to swim across the dang Mississippi!! Saved his butt!

Tim

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have caught a few fishing poles, a bird and the greatest fight off all....a Beaver out of Pueblo Res. He got away but he put up one good fight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts