Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my never ending endever to catch the elusive pikeview tiger musky I do alot of research (when the forum is slow  :p) I found this video and thought it was pretty weird looking.  The tiger musky in the video is not hooked and swimming freely.
http://www.usflagballoon.com/images/toothy.avi

N

·
0 Posts
That fish had to be sick or injured. I just don't think tigers act like that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've been to a couple of musky inc. meetings,And they,ve said that they have seen them do that all over colorado but no where else.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Ive seen them do this at Quincy a bunch, Back in the day when the Q was kick ass for muskies. I saw one doing this right into a flock of ducks. It even snapped at one as if it was trying to eat it.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From the site I found that on they said it happens all over the place, and not just with tigers pure muskies too.... But they were unsure why they do it. The best guess I heard was clearing their gills of algea or parasites. Another good theory I read was maybe to help it digest food... I have seen a pike "pass out" at BPS from trying to eat to big of a trout in their tank, so maybe this is a way for them to get extra oxygen or something.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Fisher32 said:
In the summer time you'll see schools of tigers doing this in Stern lake.
Yeah, I've seen that at Stearn way back in the day when there were a bunch of them in that lake. At first, thought they were carp until they cruised along the rocks and I saw the long snake-like figures with stripes. Annnnnnd.... I just totally hated the fact that they ignored every offer I threw at them. Sometimes, they wouldn't even scatter or flinch if you threw a top water right in front of the school. Which brings me to the question, "I thought tiger muskies weren't supposed to hang out in 'outlaw thuggin' schools like that?"

Only at Stearn though, where I have seen this.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
my computer won't let me view this video...but without even seeing it I can speculate on what particular behavior yall are talking about. In my enduring quest a few summers back to take a tiger on a fly, I saw several tigers swimming around with their heads out of the water. Is that what the video is of?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TopSlugger4 said:
my computer won't let me view this video...but without even seeing it I can speculate on what particular behavior yall are talking about. In my enduring quest a few summers back to take a tiger on a fly, I saw several tigers swimming around with their heads out of the water. Is that what the video is of?
Yes

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I have seen tiger muskies swimming with their head out of the water multiple times here in Co and in Ne. In Nebraska I threw a spinnerbait in front of one and it took it. I have never seen a true muskie do it but could be true.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've seen them do this at Horseshoe and in PA, and have heard of them doing this in other areas. I think most people agree that you probably won't get one to bite while it's doing this, but there are exceptions. I haven't heard a good explanation of why they do it, maybe they are just checking out your boat registration before deciding to feed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I saw the same thing at Prospect Ponds in Fort Collins. It was kind of off in the distance so I couldnt make it out to well. But that is exactly what it was doing.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Padrefan760 said:
I saw the same thing at Prospect Ponds in Fort Collins.  It was kind of off in the distance so I couldnt make it out to well.  But that is exactly what it was doing.
You go to Prospect Ponds often? I am there a lot in the Spring, Summer and Fall. I am still trying to get one of those tigers! What is the biggest tiger you have seen in Prospect Ponds? The biggest I have seen so far is about 25" but I know there has to be bigger in there, they have been stocking them there for several years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts