Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the passing years I've learned that change is always a tough thing. Losing old friends and family members can make you feel like your life's getting shorter. I used to laugh at the old timer's stubbornness and lack of willingness to change. But, I am starting to understand more and more why they want to hold onto their ways and at times find myself more and more like them.

In today's society it is more and more obvious that less and less people care about each other. Common respect amongst each other is becoming a lost art form. Everyone is always in a hurry to get "theirs" and often step on each other in pursuit of their own goals and dreams.

For those of us old enough to remember; it wasn't always like that. People used to open doors for older people, women with babies and those who with impairments. Neighbors would speak to each other when they met. Strangers would say "Hello" in passing. ETC,ETC.

Recently I've had several opportunities to fish with some of our younger generation. While I'm not "old" I am certainly not the youngest guy to try to keep up with these guys when it comes to "tagging" along fishing. So, I had my reservations about meeting with and hanging out with the "New Generation" of fisherman based on what I wrote above.

I must say they give me reason to want to continue to try and get to know more of them. Their willingness to ask questions, provide good insight and pass on knowledge is very refreshing to say the least. While they didn't open any doors for me; they did make sure I didn't get left behind and that I had a great time.

So for all the "oldtimers" who are reluctant to change; I say this: It's ok to hold onto the quality things you endear. But try welcoming something new once in a while. You might be pleasantly surprised in some of the new generation of fishermen.

For you younger folks; don't forget us "oldtimers" still have some things to pass on that might be of assistance down the road.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
You "old timers" on here have given me a lot of sound advice. I truly appreciate you guys taking the time to respond to my threads and posts.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
For you younger folks; don't forget us "oldtimers" still have some things to pass on that might be of assistance down the road.
You sound like you are about to kick the bucket in the next year or two. :violin::D

In today's society it is more and more obvious that less and less people care about each other. Common respect amongst each other is becoming a lost art form. Everyone is always in a hurry to get "theirs" and often step on each other in pursuit of their own goals and dreams.
Ah, the good old "golden age" myth... It was just so great when I was young, before all of you young bastards were born... :D Just different times, man. Go back 10 or 20 thousand years and people really cared about everyone else around them, which may have been a population of 20-50 people, maybe. I think each of us still cares about the 20-50 people who are the closest to us. The rest of the other millions and billions of people? Unfortunately, most of us simply don't care and some of us simply do not have the capacity to even being to feel empathy for them.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You sound like you are about to kick the bucket in the next year or two.
I hope not. Still got lots of fish to catch on my bucket list and a few more people I'd like to fish with. LMAO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts