Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
they start pumping water from lake pueblo to colo spgs they will start pumping 5 million gallons a day and go up to 5o millions per day. I sure hope this doesn't hurt the fishing. it might kill the crappie spawn

·
Registered
427 Posts
Has this happened before? Man, that sounds like a lot of water.

·
Registered
740 Posts
This is a whole new thing called the southern delivery system http://sdswater.org/ Pueblo lets plenty of water out but this is a whole new level of usage on the reservoir. Only time will tell and I figured they were letting PLo get so full so they could prime the system etc.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Looked up a conversion chart and heres some math for you. One cubic ft per second of outflow equals 449 gallons per minute or 646,560 gallons per day.

So 5 million gallons per day equals 7.7 cubic ft per second of outflow and
50 million gallons per day equals 77 cubic ft per second.

I think I have the math right. So 5 million gallons per day doesn't make much difference but 50 million is alot when you consider the outflow from the dam is usually 100-400 cubic ft. In dry years it could have a real impact.

Its 4:30 in the morning so somebody can correct me if I have the math wrong. :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Relying on snow pack is a bad idea, but it is what we do on the Front Range. Hard to build new reservoirs due to environmental impacts. So we'll just keep squeezing what we got until every year is treated like a drought year.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Colorado Springs is building a storage reservoir to hold this water.

PLO is full already right now. Hopefully all this snow will start melting and runoff will keep the level stable so the crappie can get off another good spawn?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
This year won't be a problem I don't think-but we are never far from a drought and thats when this could really hurt. Time to go fishing!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts