Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I hit John Martin on Saturday. Water elevation is about average for this time of the year. Temp by the dam in the morning was 51 by later afternoon it was 60. We found White bass in most areas around the lake. They liked a varity of baits, rattle traps, spinners, even a 5" deep diving rapala. We found no other species. I have a hard time finding the walleye or sauger in this lake. We kept a few for fish taco.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Sounds like a nice trip. They've always had trouble keeping the walleye and saugeye in that reservoir..That's why so many ten inchers are caught below the dam..drawn by current, they seem to just pass on through. It was always the same with Henry and Meredith...more pass through lakes. I remember when they switched to saugeyes hoping they would stay in the reservoir better than the walleye..not too sure that they've had much success.

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
Those whites always turn red if you put them on a stringer or in a livewell alive. I always bop them on the head or cut the gills to keep the flesh nice and white.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
They also had a Saugeye die off a couple of years ago. They supposebaly stocked 7 million fingerlings in there last year. Jeremy was there the day after and said the wipers and the gulls were having a hey day on them:(

·
Registered
838 Posts
You must did something right. A couple of people that I knew went there yesterday and they couldn't catch anything on the main lake.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
amazed that you didn't catch any walleyes ... most of the guys that I have talked to have been catching lots of walleyes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts