Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister and I went to St. Vrain State Park today at 6:30am... no action until 9:30-ish. Well we found a spot on Mallard Pond and the Trouts were going crazy cuz of all these flies near the water, so they were eating and jumping sometimes.

WELL, I'm not sure what me and my sister were doing, but we failed at setting the hook in ALL of the nibbles. Well... my sister managed to hook a trout and a Sunfish, and I hooked two Sunfish. But WTF??? The three people around us been catching TROUT non-stop and almost instantaneous, either we were sandwiched into a Sunfish colony, or we are doing something totally wrong. I'm pretty sure there were trout right in our are cuz I saw them jumping for flies.

We were using slip-bobbers, Eagle Claw Snelled Hooks #8 and #6, and the Panfish/Trout Worms from Walmart. The guy to the right of us also used worms says my sister. I don't know what they did, but I did notice no one was using bobbers or any sort. We did get tons of nibbles, in fact we use all 30 worms and only caught 4 fish and probably had like 90+ nibbles. While the people around us were catching awesome looking trout non-stop and crazy that the State Park Ranger had to check their coolers and trucks!!!

(Can we go back to the park later today? I bought the self-service daily pass thingy. Do I have to drive to the window, or go through the self-service gate?)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Trout were probably feeding heavy down on the bottom and only eating the bugs up top. I would try losing the bobber and putting the worms on the bottom or a fly and bubble up top. If you were using a slip bobber and the bait was only about halfway down the water column your were probably just into a school of sunfish and they were just nibbling on the bait. That was probably all the small bites you were getting. Try fishing powerbait and a nightcrawler on the bottom this evening. Sticker should be good for the day, just go through the self service area.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Sashimi said:
hummus cannonball said:
Your pass is good all day.

You obviously have your weight on the wrong foot.
What's that suppose to mean ??? Like how I'm standing *fail*?? I don't have this problem at Golden Ponds.
Was just kidding. Try fishing on the bottom like Lew suggests!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hummus cannonball said:
Sashimi said:
hummus cannonball said:
Your pass is good all day.

You obviously have your weight on the wrong foot.
What's that suppose to mean ??? Like how I'm standing *fail*?? I don't have this problem at Golden Ponds.
Was just kidding. Try fishing on the bottom like Lew suggests!

Ohh okay. I didn't know if you were saying there is a certain way to stand when you set the hook. Cuz I never had a problem setting it at Golden Ponds, but then again I always fished from the handicap platform thingy.

Gotta buy get a third thing of worms on the way then, woot.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Sashimi said:
My sister and I went to St. Vrain State Park today at 6:30am... no action until 9:30-ish. Well we found a spot on Mallard Pond and the Trouts were going crazy cuz of all these flies near the water, so they were eating and jumping sometimes.

I'm pretty sure there were trout right in our are cuz I saw them jumping for flies.

When Trout are rising or jumping, this is a great way to fish for them - - -

Put a fishing bubble unto your line, and add a little water too it (the center tube can be pushed out to let water in, when you push it back in, it'll keep the water in

After sliding your line through, tie a barrel swival unto the end of your line.

Then tie some flyfishing tippet (3 & 1/2 - 4lb) to the other end. I tie almost the length of my rod (if I was fishing w/ a 6 foot rod, I'd tie on 5 & 1/2 foot of tippet on)

Then tie on a fly (maybe a Griffeths Gnat, Elk Hair Caddie, or a Renegade) If you know how to match the hatch, doing so will up your numbers, but these flies will work. Try a size 16 or 18..

Toss out past where Trout are sipping or slamming the surface. Ree in slow and steady, and hang on. It's a blast fishing this way... ;)

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
There are many ways to set up for Fly/bubble fishing, but I've found this to be the easiest.

Jason, could recommend a good tippet, and probably better flies, but for St. Vrain, those should be good..

·
Registered
991 Posts
What James has mentioned here is a VERY good method. The only I would at to it is this - when you put the slip bobber on, make sure the smaller end of the tube in the middle is closer to your rod. That way when you're reeling it in, you are pulling the center tube back in to the bobber. I've had times before when I had it the other way and if it comes a little bit loose, it will pull the center piece out. You don't want that...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
If you are fishing with bait for trout.... here is where I think you went wrong. The first was your hook was to big, go to 10-14 egg hooks. The bites you were getting and missing were probably blue gills pecking your worms off the hook. Down sizing the hook should also help catch them as well.
Next lose the bobber, add a couple split shots above the snap swivel that you hook the leaders to.
Put 1/2 of the worm on... I prefer night crawlers to "trout" worms but either will work.
Cast out and let it sink then reel the slack out of the line.
Hold the pole in your hand and hook the line on your index finger.
Wait tell you feel the line twitch, get ready... when it twitches again set the hook... not to hard its a trout.
Reel in and repeat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts