Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 12v 7ah SLA ice sonar battery took a major sh** on me and died out completely. I went today and bought a Werker 12v 9ah sealed lead acid battery to replace it. It had the same footprint so it fit nicely in my Lowrance IceMachine case.

It is significantly heavier... by at least a pound or two.

Anyone use this brand before? Had good results?

What kind of increase in battery life can I expect by upgrading to the 9AH battery?

Is it a straight 29% increase, as it would appear (relationship of 7 to 9) or is it more involved than that?

Any help is appreciated, thanks fellas.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And is it good practice to remove the connectors from the terminals when the unit is not in use? I never really thought about it, but I always left my wires hooked up even when the unit sat for weeks or months at a time. Once I installed and tested my new battery, I immediately unhooked the battery and plan to do that each time I come off the water or ice.

I got paranoid that perhaps leaving the wires connected is what killed my battery. Is that over-thinking, or a legit concern?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got the answer to one of my questions, familiarizing myself with the owners manual for the unit.

250 ma/hour with light on at max ping and chart speeds... 9ah should give me 36 hours continuous use on a full charge... Probably won't get QUITE that much, but it is a good reference point.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I have the same battery for My Hds 5 portable..
Got it at Batteries Plus for, I think, @ $27.....
It will last about 7-8 hours, constant useage, on the ice with a full charge.
Seems to be a good battery... We will see.
If I am out for the whole day and run it down, I DO remove the connectors and re-charge right away.
If I have not run it down, I just leave it connected..

I wanted a Ni Cad or Lithium, but couldn't find one applicable for My need.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This was $40 at Batteries Plus. The 7AH was $29.

With my 7AH I could get 2-3 eight hour trips before it required a charge.. 250 ma/hr is a pretty low amp draw though... I bet the HDS5 is significantly higher.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
This was $40 at Batteries Plus. The 7AH was $29.

With my 7AH I could get 2-3 eight hour trips before it required a charge.. 250 ma/hr is a pretty low amp draw though... I bet the HDS5 is significantly higher.
Yep, Your'e right...
Got Mine 12/28/2012 and it cost $37.99
Replaced a Cabela's 12v 7 amp that went South...
Cannot tell You the draw on My HDs 5....
But with color screen and GPS, I'm sure it's quite a bit.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The x67 is full color screen, but no GPS. Can you disable the GPS if you're on the ice and in a spot you plan on being at for a while? Might save power, turning off unnecessary features.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn, that's a super nice battery... 10 ah and half the weight of mine... Twice the price though.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Thats pretty kewl I would of asked santa for one...maybe next year...

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I bought one from Gander 4 or 5 years ago...It's still going strong. Bought one from Cabelas last winter and I'm lucky to get two hours out of it now..

Pretty sure most are made by the same company and just branded..based upon where they're heading...Don't know for sure.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I have been happy with all the batteries I have gotten accept the once that came with my Lowrance Ice Pak... thing only lasted 1 season and now dies after only a couple hours :(

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
The key is to recharge as soon as you can after use, and then monthly throughout the year. I'm still using a couple that I got from Wapiti (used) a few years ago. 8)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts