Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to West Lake about noon; sunshine, light breeze. First cast, nice rainbow (well, in the 12" range). Several more casts, strike every time, caught couple more; then wind turned cold and heavy, water got roiled and dirty, and nothing much; four or five more in next three hours. Hope weather is nicer next week. I was using a red #10 Pistol Pete, and they loved it -- as long as the wind was calm. Great place. Pair of osprey in the area.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm a bubble user all the way; my buddy introduced it to me just at the end of last summer, when I watched him catch a dozen while my bait just sat there . . . Maybe someday I'll get up the guts to try "real" fly fishing, but the equipment outlay is daunting.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Hey BFG-I fly fish both ways,fly rod and spin/bubble.I love the bubble!You can cover enormous areas of water.You can use any fly from boogers to #18 adams.Sometimes I use a bubble and just a tiny piece of worm.Its killer!

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Like he said.Also I've used a bubble to throw a small rapala when its too windy to get much distance.Also with a twister tail -you can throw them a mile!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All those things are true, and good responses; but as far as bubble and worm or egg; isn't that pretty much back to bobber and bait? I mean, my thing is to fool 'em with flies rather than bop 'em with bait. Especially now that I have tied some of my own, and am ready to try out those for the first time. I'll let you know after next week's West trip.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
If fooling them is your objective thats super-My objective is to catch fish and usually big ones,so I use whatever it takes.I've caught tons either way-its all great!The bubble with bait is not just worm and bobber-its much more than that.In fact 90% of the time my bubble is filled so it sinks and it sinks slowly ,and a slow erratic retrieve can be deadly.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Slayer,

Patrick McManus has a whole story about you, using small flies and crawlers. I think the fly is called something like a number 18 Pink Nighty - according to Pat. I believe the story was in Never Sniff a Gift Fish, or They Shoot Canoes, don't They. Have you read them?

Terre

1 - 9 of 9 Posts