Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally! West Lake is back -- i.e., back to its normal best-fishing self. The wind has blown hard for two weeks, and nothing much was caught. Finally on Sunday, the wind died down, the day was beautiful, and my Pistol Pete caught 18 lovely 12-14" mostly rainbow (a couple smaller browns). About sunset, the lake was boiling, but I couldn't find the right fly before it was too dark to tie one on. A gaggle of teens were bait fishing -- gee, I hate that; they killed several of the fish that had swallowed the hook -- anyway, they were pulling fish out every couple of minutes. I will now repeat, if you want to take some kid who needs to be really thrilled, this is the place to be pretty sure of catching lots (IF the stinkin' wind, that blowewth where it will, bloweth somewhere else!).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bubbleflyguy,
Was up at West over the weekend and did good. Fish don't seem to be as big this year as last. I release all the fish I catch unless I'm camping, but West is a put and take lake and I don't have a problem with bait dunkers killing fish. That's what they are in there for. You want to get serious about trout go to North Delaney and you won't have to complain about bait fishermen.
Have you tried Bellaire Lake? It's tougher to fish but there are some decent sized trout in there. My wife caught a 20 inch rainbow a week or so ago.
tight lines
Bigfoot

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
From town of Red Feather Lakes,go 1 mile E on Red Feather Lakes Rd to property.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would love to get to North Delaney sometime; I hear good stuff about it. Trouble is, living by Denver, it's a long way to go for a single day, and I seldom have a chance to overnight. As for bait dunkers killing fish, I don't mind if they mean to eat them; it's ripping the hook out of the fish's insides and then tossing the wounded critter back into the water that I dislike. On the other hand, gulls and ospreys gotta eat, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts