Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAS anyone done any fishing out there(highline lake, mack mesa, harvey gap or rifle gap or the rivers)? If so, how is it?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Well, depends on what you are after? Fishing in general has been slow due to weeks of above 90 dagree weather. The dog days of summer, fish in reservoirs have gone deep and most likely are relating to the thermocline, but again depends on what you are looking to fish for. Rivers are fishing well, water getting low and warming up making the fish move to faster, more oxygenated water. I wouldn't say anything is ON FIRE right now, but that depends on the angler, techniques, and location. Your best bet would be to try and find reports online on the various bodies of water you are interested in, possibly call some shops.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Harvey Gap used to be awesome for pike. Now thanks to the Disaster Of Wildlife, it's tough fishing and a good day is three pike.
Highline has good fishing for bass and cats but with the scorching temps its slow.
Now our rivers are awesome. But fishing out here can be hard to find because the disaster won't stock anything but trout or suckfish.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
IceInTheVeins said:
Harvey Gap used to be awesome for pike. Now thanks to the Disaster Of Wildlife, it's tough fishing and a good day is three pike.
Highline has good fishing for bass and cats but with the scorching temps its slow.
Now our rivers are awesome. But fishing out here can be hard to find because the disaster won't stock anything but trout or suckfish.
I haven't heard of anybody getting 3 pike in harvey in a few years. 1 is considered dead on there now. Highline has decent fishing for bass and cats but like ice said with warm temps it sucks, and with the enormous number of jet skiers you can't catch fish besides at night or very early morning anyway.
The mesa is always good for stockers in the lakes you can drive to, (I wish they would put have different variety) and it has a few really good lakes you can walk a long ways to.

The roaring fork and colorado rivers are fishing well for trout around glenwood; you just should watch the flows because of rains; they might be muddy. The white river is superb with one 12 lber landed by a guy I know recently. The yampa if the flows are high enough is kicking out a plethora of nice smallies and also the occaisional large pike. The gunnison river is always good in the gunnison gorge.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard of people catching catfish from the river on the west slope. What river would that be?

Thanks for all your inputs.

·
Registered
804 Posts
tbmanivong said:
I've heard of people catching catfish from the river on the west slope.  What river would that be?

The lower Colorado River between Grand Junction and the Utah State Line. Here is one I caught a few weeks ago.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OURAY said:
tbmanivong said:
I've heard of people catching catfish from the river on the west slope. What river would that be?

The lower Colorado River between Grand Junction and the Utah State Line. Here is one I caught a few weeks ago.
I gotta give it a shot out there. Always wanted to fish on the river for cats. Did you fish at night or during the day. I had some friends that fished the platte in nebraska and said they caught most of their catfish from dawn to noon and a few at night.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I'm catchin some cats right now too. It isn't exactly magnificient fishing to say the least though. The grossly overpopulated roundtail chubs gobble anything you throw down there almost as soon as it hits the bottom. They are so overpopulated in the river it is sickening. Right now after all the rains, the river probably wouldn't be fishing as good.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
By the way, if you come out here make sure to release almost all of the cats you catch. DOW and USFWS removed many cats a few years ago, and while we still have some they are not very numerous. (they were never even a dent in the biomass anyway with all of the native suckers and roundtail chubs.) Also, any of the cats above about 3 pounds out of this river taste terrible. Kept a 8 and a 10 pounder before and yuck.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TroutFishingBear said:
By the way, if you come out here make sure to release almost all of the cats you catch. DOW and USFWS removed many cats a few years ago, and while we still have some they are not very numerous. (they were never even a dent in the biomass anyway with all of the native suckers and roundtail chubs.) Also, any of the cats above about 3 pounds out of this river taste terrible. Kept a 8 and a 10 pounder before and yuck.
Hahaha. Ok. I don't usually eat the fish I catch. They go to my family or friends. Hahaha.

Do you know if we can keep the suckers and chubs? I bet they are good for cut bait.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Oh no, you cannot keep the suckers or chubs. You can actually keep unlimited amount of white suckers since they aren't native. If you get caught keeping a chub (even though they are ridiculously overpopulated) it is like a 1000 dollar fine or something like that. They truly are horrible fish! 10-12", fight like a stick, and eat up all my chicken liver!!!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TroutFishingBear said:
Oh no, you cannot keep the suckers or chubs. You can actually keep unlimited amount of white suckers since they aren't native. If you get caught keeping a chub (even though they are ridiculously overpopulated) it is like a 1000 dollar fine or something like that. They truly are horrible fish! 10-12", fight like a stick, and eat up all my chicken liver!!!
hahaha. Ok.. Thanks. What is the difference in the white sucker and native sucker?

·
Banned
487 Posts
tbmanivong said:
TroutFishingBear said:
Hahaha. Ok.   I don't usually eat the fish I catch.  They go to my family or friends.  Hahaha.

Do you know if we can keep the suckers and chubs?  I bet they are good for cut bait.
They are good cutbait, yes. But you can only keep white suckers. The roundtail chubs, bluehead suckers, and flannelmouth suckers are protected even though they aren't endangered. In fact they are horribly overpopulated in the river. They really do need to be thinned out.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
The white suckers are the suckers you guys have. They are a silvery whitish brown. The flannelmouths are really orange colored, and the blueheads have a silvery-blue head.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts