Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
IceInTheVeins said:
Harvey Gap used to be awesome for pike. Now thanks to the Disaster Of Wildlife, it's tough fishing and a good day is three pike.
Highline has good fishing for bass and cats but with the scorching temps its slow.
Now our rivers are awesome. But fishing out here can be hard to find because the disaster won't stock anything but trout or suckfish.
I haven't heard of anybody getting 3 pike in harvey in a few years. 1 is considered dead on there now. Highline has decent fishing for bass and cats but like ice said with warm temps it sucks, and with the enormous number of jet skiers you can't catch fish besides at night or very early morning anyway.
The mesa is always good for stockers in the lakes you can drive to, (I wish they would put have different variety) and it has a few really good lakes you can walk a long ways to.

The roaring fork and colorado rivers are fishing well for trout around glenwood; you just should watch the flows because of rains; they might be muddy. The white river is superb with one 12 lber landed by a guy I know recently. The yampa if the flows are high enough is kicking out a plethora of nice smallies and also the occaisional large pike. The gunnison river is always good in the gunnison gorge.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I'm catchin some cats right now too. It isn't exactly magnificient fishing to say the least though. The grossly overpopulated roundtail chubs gobble anything you throw down there almost as soon as it hits the bottom. They are so overpopulated in the river it is sickening. Right now after all the rains, the river probably wouldn't be fishing as good.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
By the way, if you come out here make sure to release almost all of the cats you catch. DOW and USFWS removed many cats a few years ago, and while we still have some they are not very numerous. (they were never even a dent in the biomass anyway with all of the native suckers and roundtail chubs.) Also, any of the cats above about 3 pounds out of this river taste terrible. Kept a 8 and a 10 pounder before and yuck.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Oh no, you cannot keep the suckers or chubs. You can actually keep unlimited amount of white suckers since they aren't native. If you get caught keeping a chub (even though they are ridiculously overpopulated) it is like a 1000 dollar fine or something like that. They truly are horrible fish! 10-12", fight like a stick, and eat up all my chicken liver!!!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
The white suckers are the suckers you guys have. They are a silvery whitish brown. The flannelmouths are really orange colored, and the blueheads have a silvery-blue head.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts